Is Shetland Gay Friendy?

jamlar

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i tink dat shetland should git its act tgidder as i am gay an i am very offended that people would like to slag us aff!!!

I MEAN WE ARE ALL THE SAME BUT THE ONLY THING DIFFERENT ABOUT US IS THAT WE LIKE MEN!!! OR IN SOME CASES FOR WOMEN THEY LIKE WOMEN OMG!!!

so if anyone thinks that the gay community is a bad thing then write to me back on this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cant wait for ur replys

Well I think it would be a progressive thing. You can pass laws to make discrimination wrong but you cannot change the way folk think. You can only really set laws for actions.

As long as the person does not act on their thoughts, If they are homophobic, or even if they do not understand, then not much can be done.

It works both ways too. Although Lerwick is cosmopolitan in some aspects, it may not be ready for a full on Gay Pride march, folk will have to be introduced to some changes slowly, and at a pace that they can understand and keep up with. Eventually, things will gell, but you will always get folks with opinions.

You do have to keep in mind, there are many folk around who knew homosexual activities as a criminal offence. Although now it is not, some of these folk may not have had is full explained to them and their own worries and fears addressed.

I am afraid you will have to work with folk, and not, as you have done demand that folk change a way of thinking.

If you need to protest somewhere

Nowadays, in several countries of Africa, the question is not about how to decriminalize homosexuality, but rather about how to reinforce legislation against same-sex relationships. In about 10 countries in the world, in Iran and Saudi Arabia, for instance, death penalty is the reward for same-sex relationships. For us, this attitude seems totally barbaric

http://www.xtra.ca/public/Vancouver/Dictionary_reveals_hot_spots_of_homophobia-5826.aspx

So, I think there are more pressing needs for your protests elsewhere, but there is nothing stopping you adding a +ve attitude here

Malcolm

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:40 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone interested in a Shetland LGBT web group I have started one up on facebook. Just log in to facebook and search groups for ...

Shetland Island Gay/Bi/Lesbian Group

If there is enough good response I will pay for and set up a website where anonimity will be guaranteed for those who wish to remain anonymous. You can PM me in the strictest confidence.

I am sure you will do just fine..

But, I dont see why you should only invite only negative comments, but if you want one, there is a guy on here who is -ve. There u go

There isnothing wrong with the gay community MUDPLUGGER i think that we are very well manhoured people and should be treated like everyone else but we dont all we get is BULLYs and people who try and attack us cos they are homophobic!!!!

please rethink your views as you are completely mistaked about gays

Ahh, so you just after stirring it up, you are a gay activist, fantastic.

mudplugger said nothing wrong, and you may be wrong for suggesting so.

Perhaps you may not get what you want here...

The world is not full of homophobes, there will always be some who are, the mark of a good person, someone who is understanding is a little tollerence, until the world is that huge melting pot, you do have to be considerate.

You dont comment on the African countries or even the recent attack in Liverpool. Them is more important me thinx..

You will get on fine if you want to get on with folk..

Take a breath and hold back occasionally. Some folk could be upset with your forum gate.

Your energies could do a better job if pointed somewhere else, where energy is required.

Tell us about yourself here

http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1674

I am not homophobic Billy/T22.

I just dont care what other people get up to. I dont care what da swri get up too at there meatings. I dont care what the latest gossip the workers at LFT have. The same way i dont care If there is a gay community. It has nothing at all to do with me what people get up too.And i dont care about your little crusade. I have never prejudged anyone because of what they are or believe in.

What street corner Para??? (purely for research purposes)

I was also wondering about which street corner as well. Purely for educational purposes, of course.

Just on by the Market Cross near the Auto Bank at the Bank of Scotland in fact. Me and two work mates, were heading home about 2.30 am. When a female, got on the bonnet of our car and opened her legs. And like Pte. James Widdle her underpants had been removed. And so flashed her Khyber Pass so to speak, and said it was ours for the night, for a specific sum of money. But we, did not want to Bungdit Din, so we passed on the Khyber Pass and went home. It has put me of some types of Tiffin for life

I went to a gay wedding/civil partnership 2 years ago now 2 females one of which is a very good friend who left Shetland because she was gay, not because she got any hassle but because there was limited pickings, anyhow their wedding was without doubt the best I have ever attended. Their love is so sincere everyone cried for them and the party after was such a celebration for them no one wanted it to end. It was fantastic. So happy for them and they are still blissfully happy together.

[quote name="cojones66

Just some frends of mine (who are gay and are not camp/girlie gay) had some bad experiences in shops/pubs when they came here' date='

One was in a pub and a group said 'I hate f*** queers, the other one said yes me too the worse are f**** English Queers the rest was really explicit.

My friends were with their 14 year old niece and the comments they got reallly upset her and spoilt their holiday.[/quote]

I am intrigued as to how strangers in a pub would know you friends were Gay? It would appear that these were 'two blokes in a pub with a girl' - what would lead anyone to assume they were Gay?