Baby Sign Language

Hollian

My sister-in-law had done some signing with her child. It was a god-send when you knew she was actually needing milk; the clasping hand sign.

Rather that then try and figure out from the pitch of crying and face expression to what was needed! Especially for someone like me having no great experience with children at that time!

Maketon is the accepted form of sigh language for babies and children with Special Needs but it works well as a communication skill with most babies..

I used this with my son and at the same time you use speach and eventually drop the sign and the speach takes over..

It does make communication a bit easier for both of you

Maketon is the accepted form of sigh language for babies and children with Special Needs but it works well as a communication skill with most babies..

I used this with my son and at the same time you use speach and eventually drop the sign and the speach takes over..

It does make communication a bit easier for both of you

The better half does maketon in her nursery, it has helped with quite a few kids, only thing is the company she works for doesn't get all the staff trained in it and not all the staff want to learn it.

I have a babysigning book somewhere.

It's different from BSL though, got a book in that too.

Main thing when signing with your child is not to forget to speak the words as you sign.

Don't make things too complicated for yourself, only key words need signed.

And signs should be adapted to suit you, if you feel totally daft doing a certain sign your child will pick up on it.

Hi I previously ran classes on baby signing in Shetland but am on maternity leave atm, I have used it succesfully with my dd and am using it with my twin girls atm. I would recommend using BSL as it takes account of local signs and fosters inclusion with all groups. When things settle down a bit here i intend to start classes again. Something special is good though it uses makaton many signs are similar , makaton is a signing system with a fixed amount of vocabulary signs but is good , the main thing is have fun and communicate and always use the word with the sign.

I just found out my cousin in SA is using baby sign language with her one year old and my grandmother has commented on it's benefits. I've spoken with my partner about it and he's interested in using it with our 8 month old - are there any books that can be recommended? When are you planning to start up the classes again twinsigns?

• 1 year later...