Airport Security

Are the security staff at Sumburgh heavy handed in their seaches?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are the security staff at Sumburgh heavy handed in their seaches?

• yes
    • no

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole thing is totally over the top. I can see the need for searching terrorists of course.

What they need to do is make some types of people exempt.

For instance people born and bred in Shetland shouldn't have to go through this.

They could save a lot of money by profiling the people they search.

Perhaps special privelege identity cards could be issued to loyal British citizens of a certain class (and perhaps pigmentation and/or religion) so they could bypass this total nonsense.

Shouldn't this be in the BNP thread?!!!

Back on topic please.

Interesting point from HonestJohnDoe there. Who then supplies security to the other airports in Scotland and wider UK?

I have to say I often take umbridge in the draconian anality that is Sumburgh airport security! No other airport I have ever been through do you feel, time and time again, as though you are being lined up to be stripped, scrubbed, shaved and thrown into a cell!

The majority of the security guards are very pleasant, might I point out, and happy to chat and be jovial.

hi

i'm going to take the exact same sizes of jars, fruit pots and petit felous through security when flying back to shetland from edinburgh next week and see what the reaction is.

I also had a half eaten sandwich that i had for my morning sickness so i will make sure i have the same for my sickness on the way back

i will report back next week!!!!

trout said

Interesting point from HonestJohnDoe there. Who then supplies security to the other airports in Scotland and wider UK?

The different airport operators put their security out to tender on a regular basis as per EU regs. Until recently here it was OCS, who co-incidentally also do the big BAA airports(Aberdeen ,Heathrow etc.) as well as Solemn Vow.

They are all regulated by the department of transport

There have been quite a variety of companies running airport security, however, at least here, the personnel are transferred over, so its not noticeable except for the colour of their shirts. Black shirts and brown shirts I've never seen. Up here recently the airport authority accepted its own tender as being best?? this time. In my OPINION Manual security procedures vary according to the standard of the equipment used. I.e top notch x-ray = less hand searching . Crap equipment = more hand searching.

However I notice that bigger airports employ extra people just to tell you to be prepared and have your stuff ready. This seems to smooth thing out at t'coal face.

Perhaps special privelege identity cards could be issued to loyal British citizens of a certain class (and perhaps pigmentation and/or religion) so they could bypass this total nonsense.

I was being facetious to make a point in reply to previous comments. At least Oddrun twigged to that. Personally I think security should be reduced to zero in these small airports. Of course that would mean that we couldn't check-in for onward connections to London or International, but I think it would be worth the price. After all its like getting on a bus up here. Of course peoples attitudes would change if there was an incident up here.......................

the security at sumburgh airport for babies is incredibly over the top! I have travelled twice with my baby girl, once to aberdeen and once to edinburgh and both times sumburgh made me take her out of her buggy, pass her to a stranger while I got patted down, then patted her down (at 3 months old), then hand scanned the buggy even after it had been folded and put through the scanner, then taste her bottles.

In both aberdeen and edinburgh they took one look at her sleeping in her buggy and said not to bother disturbing her, quickly ran the hand scanner over the buggy, made me taste the bottles, and off we went.

Possibly its just boredom in Sumburgh as they only have a flight every hour or so, but it gets you quite flustered and especially when they take so long doing it that you're the last person to get on the plane and all the other passengers look at you like you've held them up.

God help me I'm not looking forward to having to travel with solids

God help me I'm not looking forward to having to travel with solids

it was solids i had and i got hastle and I was well within the limits. i could've had more going by what the transport folk say. next time i'll be taking a copy of the rules with me.

i like to time my flights in with feeding my daughter as she isn't one for sitting at the best of times especially if she has to sit on your lap. i like to use the food as a distraction. its not like their big planes where you can let her stand up and go for a walk so normally its a constant wrestling match trying to keep her seated and the food helps a lot

aand another thing. there was no one at security that looked like they were even going to help me with the baby whilst i got checked. thankfully someone in the cue helped me

Possibly its just boredom in Sumburgh as they only have a flight every hour or so, but it gets you quite flustered and especially when they take so long doing it that you're the last person to get on the plane and all the other passengers look at you like you've held them up.

What I would advise you single mums to do, when travelling on your own is to ask the check-in person to take you through security first before calling the flight. There is a system in place for these requiring special assistance. That way it'll be everyone else who is holding you up!

thats a good idea. it would be worth speaking to them. they must have some sort of procedure in place if they are going to search folk with children, buggies, baby bags to unpack. it took about 10 or so minutes by the time i got her out the buggy, got searched. they i had to take my belt of, re-pack my bag, get myself sorted again. sort the buggy out and get her in

the last couple of times i've flown my boyfriend has drove me down and he's come to security and held the little lady whilst me, the baby bag and the buggy get searched and i'd do all the tasting of the bottles/food then i'd go back through and get her

this time though i drove down myself so he wasn't their to do his bit