Airport Security

Are the security staff at Sumburgh heavy handed in their seaches?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are the security staff at Sumburgh heavy handed in their seaches?

• yes
    • no

I entirely sympathize here. Although I do feel that Sumburgh is one of the worst, we had to help a mother and baby in Edinburgh when she had to take off boots, belt, coat, have her bag searched, test the baby's food etc etc and there was nowhere to put the baby except on the floor where she might have been stood on by other harassaed passengers.

I also understand regulations but if they are in place, some measure of competent help/place of safety for baby should be available. Some understaning and sympathy would be useful too - not to be told that you are taking too much food for your child. All they offer on board is tea, coffee and disgusting sticky buns, after all.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how does she know what my daughter eats!!!

i was that flustered that i told security to take her bottle of water. so i then had no water for her

Point taken.

And just for your information, there is a water cooler after security, so you can take an empty bottle and fill it with water after. There is also a drinks machine in the departure gate, and all the aircraft carry individual sealed bottles of water.

i disagree, wouldnt hold breath or hold back , theres changes needed, if not in dictatorial policies then at least attitudes, the MP / MPS office is very approachable and give them thier due, they do work on important community issues , especially if a few of you get together. Cant believe somebody likened a sumburgh flight to 9/11 , gees , get a life

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone in mainland UK can jump on a train and go from county to county with no security and no photo ID. But if we want to go to any other county, whether by plane or boat, we have to go through all this and be treated as terrorist suspects. Big Brother has really got us over a barrel. The staff at Sumburgh are usually very pleasant, but the searching you have to go through is really excessive compared to what you get coming north or travelling elsewhere. If the level of security at other UK airports is safe, why is it not good enough for Sumburgh where there are few international flights? Could be the staff just don't have enough to do...I can't recall ever being asked anywhere else to switch on my mobile to prove it is a mobile (and I travel by plane a fair bit) but at Sumburgh they do it every time it seems. If their equipment is not up to the job then someone should invest some money in it.

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

[***mod edit- Thread merged to existing topic***]

Is it me or do other people find the airport security at Sumburgh a little heavy handed and over zealous with their searches and their attitude to customers.

Is it not about time that we stood up and started complaining to the authorities about it instead of keeping quiet and putting up with it, as it is NOT ACCEPTABLE?

Please email me your bad experiences or contact

Complaints

http://www.hial.co.uk/comments.html

or Department of transport

http://www.dft.gov.uk/contact

Is it me or do other people find the airport security at Sumburgh a little heavy handed and over zealous with their searches and their attitude to customers.

If their being "heavy-handed" makes my journey safer then I would be happy for every passenger to strip naked if necessary. The fact that Sumburgh is a small airport is irrelevant in the battle to avert terrorism in the air.

The fact that you may have to take your shoes off etc is a small price to pay for arriving safely.

The outer airports are in theory subject to greater scrutiny. You could travel to Sumburgh in a vehicle from the mainland then get on a plane bound for an international airport.

There are also "mystery fliers" who check on security and will make some odd requests.

If the airport fails this, it could close for retraining perhaps, best how it is.

A small inconvienience really, it is not like you dont know it happens, just be prepaired...

Guest Anonymous

The fact that you may have to take your shoes off etc is a small price to pay for arriving safely.

Having read a few other threads on this, and also knowing what another person had to endure on their way to Aberdeen Hospital at the hands of Sumburgh Airport Security staff, it seems that it is a little more than just having to 'take your shoes off'. I cannot comment anymore on this.

It seems just because they wear a uniform they perceive themselves to be more omnipotent than they really are. They are supposed to be professionals and should act accordingly

Contact the government body in relation to airport security complaints

transec.surefax@dft.gsi.gov.uk

Guest Anonymous
I have just done a quick run down to Gatwick via Aberdeen and then Inverness on the return leg and found everyone charming. No heavy hands at all.

Probably due to the fact that a complaint has been made