Good things the nazis did....

Ertieiddabanks

A nice controversial subject. The nazis were responsible for the jet engine, the birth of space travel, the autobahn, the ejection seat, the first tv broadcast to reach space, bans on food colouring and additives, huge amounts of cancer research, synthetic fuel, synthetic rubber, methadone, the first ever tape recording is of a speech by hitler, then there's vitamin research, addiction research ...the list goes on.

All this was done under the direct control and manipulation of the nazi party but we never read or see any of it.

Any thoughts?

The nazis were responsible for ...

All this was done under the direct control and manipulation of the nazi party...

Not really the full picture I'd say. The party certainly embraced many of those initiatives, but it is truer to say that Germany was responsible. Take the autobahns for example. These were conceived and well underway during the Weimar Republic, and even when Adolf came to power and embraced them, it was Todt's guys who were really responsible. Todt was certainly a key party figure, but his organisation was essentially technocrat driven. In other words, most of those advances you list were on the cards anyway, and were German more than NSDAP.

not to condone in any way how they went about thier research or what drove them to advance in engineering (mainly to slay people), but the winning side always write thier own history , trying not to detract in any way from German quality and inginuity, but the nazis did not go about things a very good way

Smoking Bans And Restrictions in Nazi Germany

The Luftwaffe banned smoking in 1938.

The German Post office introduced.it's own ban

Smoking was barred in many workplaces, government offices, hospitals,and rest homes.

The NSDAP (National sozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei) announced a ban on smoking in its offices in 1939

SS chief Heinrich Himmler announced a smoking ban for all uniformed police and SS officers while on duty in 1939

Hermann Goering's bans soldiers from smoking on the streets, on marches, and while taking rest periods.

Sixty of Germany's largest cities banned smoking on street cars in 1941.

Smoking was banned in air raid shelters. Some provided separate rooms for smokers

Tobacco coupons were denied to any woman who was pregnant

Blanket smoking bans were introduced in many cafes, bars and restaurants

Women below the age of 25 were banned from smoking

Restaurants and cafes were barred from selling cigarettes to all female customers

In July 1943 it became illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to smoke in public.

Smoking was banned on all German city trains and buses in 1944. This initiative coming from Hitler himself,who was worried about exposure of young female conductors to tobacco smoke.

Acts of a dictator, or acts of someone looking out for the health of his nation ?

I'd like to think that smoking would be banned in public places if we had dictators in charge of our country ...... hang on, smoking is banned here ;)

Nazi's were the first to coin the term "passive smoking"

Many of the studies carried out during the Third Reich are the basis for the arguments put forward today by those seeking the imposition of repressive smoking bans.

I stopped smoking 4.5 months ago, i've smoked from the age of 12, i smoked through 3 pregnancies, I have smoked ALL of my adult life, I wish my government had cared about me, as much as the nazis had cared about their women.

our government used to care enough that we used to have freedom of choice and civil libertys , thought that was the basis that millions lost thier lives in the second world war? Hitler was a dictator cos we were told he was, and Bush ,Blair n Brown aren't cos we're told they are the leaders of the free world , if in doubt check Thatcher, there was a right wing dictator if there ever was one

I stopped smoking 4.5 months ago, i've smoked from the age of 12, i smoked through 3 pregnancies, I have smoked ALL of my adult life, I wish my government had cared about me, as much as the nazis had cared about their women.

As an adult you are able to make your own choices. You must have been aware that smoking was bad for you - your Government has plainly stated it for years and has left it up to you to follow its advice.

The Nazis did not 'care' about all women with their smoking ban and list of people forbidden to smoke but just about the ones who might give birth to Hitlers 'Aryan Race'.

Smoking Bans And Restrictions in Nazi Germany

Which all goes to show that descriptions of those favouring smoking bans today as Nazis are somewhat accurate ;-)

Hermann Goering's bans soldiers from smoking on the streets, on marches, and while taking rest periods.

Particularly ironic. He was a complete smackhead with a serious opiate habit.

The tremendously named band, who's name I would probably get banned for typing, **** **** have a song called 'Hitler Was A Sensitive Man' which, besides being very controversial as with all AC songs, rather humorous.

HITLER WAS A SENSITIVE MAN

HE WENT TO ART SCHOOL WHEN HE WAS YOUNGER

HE WANTED TO BE A PAINTER

HITLER WAS A VEGETARIAN

HE WAS ALSO A NON SMOKER