Churches and Chapels in Shetland

Oddrun

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the old bakery in walls was a former church, it was also built on the site of a much older church(you could see the remains of it on the pics that were online last time it was up for sale)

it was also the Aurora knitting factory for years when I was a kid oot wast.

can't mind dates exactly but it stood for a few years empty before becoming the walls bakery.

The kirk in West Sandwick, Yell was a Church of Scotland and held services up until at least the late 1980s. I don't believe it was named though. If memory serves me rightly it was sold along with the adjacent Manse and is now privately owned.

I seem to mind the kirk at Haroldswick being used by Ian Reid when he was based up in Unst although somebody with more local knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you so far....Now at least I can make a page for the West Sandwick one...I just call it West Sandwick Kirk...

It would be interesting to know someting about the one up in Unst....

and also the one near Tangwick Haa..

Shetland Museum has a picture of a cross :

http://photos.shetland-museum.org.uk/index.php?a=wordsearch&s=item&key=Wczo4OiJUYW5nd2ljayI7&pg=46

They say it is probably in the chapel at Tangwick....I wonder if that was the house I have a pic of ..it looks very much like a former chapel..Then is the question, what kind of chapel ; C. of Scotland, Methodist or something else..

:wink:

Hopefully someone from Northmavine reads this...I thought about joining their forum and ask there about the Tangwick Chapel....

:roll: I see that the Mods has changed the name on my thread....I made that that "Please Read" title just so that people who normally are not interested in Churches and Chapels could stumble in, and maybe they could know something.......but the Mods are the bosses.... :roll:

Another thing I wonder about is if someone could happen to have a picture of the Swedish Fishermen's Church in Baltasound...as I understand it, the building blew down in a hurricane in the early 1990's....I have really no idea where in Baltasound it stood, so I have no chance to find it on old Museum pictures...

I see that the Mods has changed the name on my thread....I made that that "Please Read" title just so that people who normally are not interested in Churches and Chapels could stumble in, and maybe they could know something.......but the Mods are the bosses.... :roll:

But on the flip side, all those people interested in churches, architecture, history etc., and who avoid clicking on "Please read" type titles, they would have missed it. Always best to be straight and transparent rather than trying to trick people into clicking something. A good Mod decision, such titles are bad netiquette.

Guest Anonymous

......Shetlands very rich ecclesial history

Should that not be Ecclesiastical? Rhymes with testical, the thing which always risks the chance of being removed by an angry Trowie. :wink:

:lol:

^ I hummed and heyed ower dat me'sell, but as it happens:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ecclesial

It was a new wan on me, to be honest. :wink:

Just to be a coward about it I'll say that I didna change the thread title- Just to protect my ecclesiasticals from a wicked angry Trowie. :wink:

(Hoping sho will still get some use o diss treed tho :wink: )