Caeser

Will we see a solution to the current SIC problem  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Will we see a solution to the current SIC problem

• Yes - once Sandy gets the push
    • Yes - once Cllr Wills resigns
    • Yes -once the CE departs and Willie gets his job back
    • Not until there are wholesale election changes

a bit awkward, at least with a gallery you can pop in and out without disturbing the proceedings. Not everyone can work round council meetings. Plus how are you supposed to do the sarcastic commentary if the councillors can see/hear you?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the Full Council Meeting on the 9th December, 2009, councillors should do the courageous thing and bring some creedence and believability back into the Council Chamber, by delivering a rock-solid vote of No-Confidence in the Convener and Vice-Convener. :mrgreen:

A fat lot of use that would do! Maybe they should deliver a rock-solid vote of no confidence in Mr Willis and Mr Robinson. :( :(

with no public gallery in chambers how do people pop in to watch full council meetings?

There are seats along two walls of the Council Chamber. If you want to go the meeting turn up a few minutes before it starts. Go into the Town Hall and take the second door on the right, labelled Council Chamber. If you are unsure of what to do the Enquiries office is on the left.

At the Full Council Meeting on the 9th December, 2009, councillors should do the courageous thing and bring some creedence and believability back into the Council Chamber, by delivering a rock-solid vote of No-Confidence in the Convener and Vice-Convener. :mrgreen:

A fat lot of use that would do! Maybe they should deliver a rock-solid vote of no confidence in Mr Willis and Mr Robinson. :( :(

No jimmy parks, we've had years of crap management and you're proposing the same lot continues on.

At least Dr Wills (not Mr Willis, whoever he may be) appears not to just rubber-stamp willy nilly without arguing all the points.

Looks to me as if you live outwith the Islands?

"They don't like it up em Captain Mainwaring" :mrgreen:

with no public gallery in chambers how do people pop in to watch full council meetings?

There are seats along two walls of the Council Chamber. If you want to go the meeting turn up a few minutes before it starts. Go into the Town Hall and take the second door on the right, labelled Council Chamber. If you are unsure of what to do the Enquiries office is on the left.

So like I thought you can't actually "pop" into meetings. You get lumbered with the whole thing, great if you're paid to be there, if you've got a life not so great.

So like I thought you can't actually "pop" into meetings. You get lumbered with the whole thing, great if you're paid to be there, if you've got a life not so great.

That seems a little unfair. They don't restrict access and there is often some coming and going during the meeting, but a little discretion is needed to ensure that the meetings aren't disrupted (or at least no more than they are ordinarily). For meetings where there is liable to be a large interest by the public the location has been changed to the hall above with more seating set out at the 'bell end' (the end with the bell at it). This was certainly the case for the Mareel decision and the cheap seats were quite filled.

In any event, if an agenda item is so important, surely sacrificing a couple of hours is worth it?

^^ I think MJ raises valid points.

I have not yet attended a Council meeting here but in the past, did only pop into a Council meeting to hear/heckle/comment on one agenda point. I've known Council meetings to last for four hours and I wouldn't want to sit through four hours if the issue I was concerned about only lasted for say, 45 minutes.

I also quite like the idea of live feeds like they do elsewhere (without going back, was it down in Scilly?). The SIC website isn't, in my humble opinion, very user friendly when trying to track down minutes. Why can't they just have, for example, Full Council Meeting X date? No, instead you have to go through a load of documents to try and tie up what agenda point ties up with what report. So where are the Council Minutes? Or do they not want us to know? Would it be too user-friendly to actually have Council Meeting Minutes under a heading Council Meetings (at the moment, they just have Agendas under that heading). No, instead you have to do a document search.

No jimmy parks, we've had years of crap management and you're proposing the same lot continues on.

At least Dr Wills (not Mr Willis, whoever he may be) appears not to just rubber-stamp willy nilly without arguing all the points.

Looks to me as if you live outwith the Islands?

"They don't like it up em Captain Mainwaring" :mrgreen:

here here, succinct, either outwith the islands or perhaps a benificiery of the quangos, committes, 10 fat fingers in as many pies, under the table double dealing shenanigans

^^ I think MJ raises valid points.

I have not yet attended a Council meeting here but in the past, did only pop into a Council meeting to hear/heckle/comment on one agenda point. I've known Council meetings to last for four hours and I wouldn't want to sit through four hours if the issue I was concerned about only lasted for say, 45 minutes.

I quite agree with your points about the minutes and the web site, however, I would suggest that if an issue is of sufficient importance to you (not you, but the generic you) then spending the time is worth it. What is the alternative? Build a new council chamber with a gallery at the cost of x millions causing yet more rambling eternal arguments on Shetlink? Don't think so.

Otherwise do we reduce meetings to one agenda item a time and turn the whole thing into sound bites for the attention challenged? Okay so that's a bit extreme but are there any practical solutions?

ive pondered this statement and come to crossroads of a conclusion, A you are a fool. B you are a fool on crack.

lets put that to the vote.

Perhaps now is the time to close this thread as there seems to be an amount of childish name calling. Maybe it is appropriate to provide an analog of the current political situation here, but it is adding nothing to the discussion and borders on breaching the Shetlink T&Cs.

Perhaps now is the time to close this thread as there seems to be an amount of childish name calling. Maybe it is appropriate to provide an analog of the current political situation here, but it is adding nothing to the discussion and borders on breaching the Shetlink T&Cs.

Get real and try having some fun!

So you suggest closing this thread- why?

People want to participate in so many ways, not just to be bored stiff on 'advancing the discussion' etc.

Bordering on the edge of the T&C's is ok, as long as it is not going over that edge.

So please, no more suggestions on advocating halting something, just because it may not fit in with your views. :mrgreen:

Get real and try having some fun!

So you suggest closing this thread- why?

People want to participate in so many ways, not just to be bored stiff on 'advancing the discussion' etc.

Bordering on the edge of the T&C's is ok, as long as it is not going over that edge.

So please, no more suggestions on advocating halting something, just because it may not fit in with your views. :mrgreen:

This is part of what I'm talking about - firstly, nope nothing to do with my views - I guess you just made that up to justify your post. Secondly you've got someone calling another poster a fool or a fool on crack. What has that got to do with the debate? Looks like personal abuse to me. Besides that what has this discussion got to do with having fun? Unless of course you're just a troll stirring things and then I can understand what you mean by fun.

A reminder:

1. You agree, through your use of the Shetlink website, that you will not submit (or hyperlink to) any material or use language which is defamatory, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, inciting of violence, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or in violation of ANY UK law. Personal attacks, inflammatory language, harassment, impersonation, trolling and sockpuppeting (multiple user accounts) will not be tolerated.

Edited to add the reference to T&Cs and again to correct my piss poor spelling further up. And again to move the Edit note to the bottom of the post - having a bad thumb day.

sockpuppeting, is that when one poster appears on a thread then along comes another with almost exactly the same views to back up the first poster both of whom may be relatively new to forum?.

So I believe. If only we were privy to the X-Originating-IP variable that the system logs with the posts and were able to compare them, I think that we'd be most surprised - or not ;-)