George Burley sacked

mr_brain

George Burley sacked good decision or a bad decision?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. George Burley sacked good decision or a bad decision?

• Good Decision
    • Bad decision

jimmy calderwood would be a good shout!

Surely not.

The problem with Burley is that he may be a decent fellow but his tactics and selection were rubbish. Walter Smith and Alec McLeash knew what was available and played to their strengths. Burley didn't have a clue.

Whoever takes over needs to get Barry Ferguson back ASAP. Leveen would be a good choice.

Burley had to go, I think the players have to carry much of the blame but it was clearly not working.

I would however disagree with the comment that he had the same group of players as the previous managers. In the last campaign he was deprived of key players such as Craig Gordon, James MacFadden and Alan Hutton. He was also badly let down by Barry Ferguson and Alan MacGregor and I would say Ferguson is not a player we can replace easily. I suppose Kris Boyds pathetic huff is also worth mentioning although I wouldn't have him near a Scotland squad.

The Scotland squad lacks quality and depth and no manager can compensate for the loss of so many key playes.

Well said Boris.

Well that's me just back from that shambles in Cardiff and as someone who's been to just about every game since the end of the Craigie Broon era, all I can say that I've never seen such a clueless/gutless 'performance' from a Scotland side :x

Don't know how it came across on the tv but the level of abuse towards Burley, Smith and the SFA was something I've never heard before, the whole of the Scotland end was giving them pelters. Even Hans-Hubert didn't get it that bad in Moldova and that was a soul destroying game to watch.

To get back to the game, we looked not bad for the first 15 minutes or so but once the first goal went in we just gave up! This was a game that Burley said we had to win so he was going to play the strongest 11 to start with, so he starts with Miller, who hasn't scored for Scotland in over a year, ahead of S Fletcher who's in good form at club level. The midfield was a shambles, very few of us recognised who they were, as for Naismiths 'ball control' I'd be disappointed if the Shetland Ladies team couldn't do better. The so called defence was shocking, Caldwell and McManus were shown up for what they are a pair of carthorses who have no pace and couldn't tackle to save themselves. Hutton can get up the park ok but don't ask him to get back in a hurry to actually be a right back. Danny Fox deary me, a few half decent games for Celtic and he get's a start over Lee Wallace!

Even the Welsh fans were surprised as how easy it was for their reserve team, whos average age was 22, to turn us over and they thought they had problems with Toshack as their manager!

Can only really hope that our next manager is someone who can command the respect of the team and get them to actually play for the jersey. Who that is I've no idea but someone like John Collins or Gary McAllister who actually know what it's like to represent your country with pride would be better that what we've had recently :x

I'm not so sure John Collins is the right guy, anyone remember all the dressing room unrest there was at Easter Road when he was manager. Gary McAllister hasn't got a great track record in management. After Burley and the friction he had with some of the players they should be trying to get someone with good man management skills, McLeish and Smith seemed to get a decent team spirit and that showed on the park. Burley couldn't manage that and I don't see Collins doing it which leaves you with McAllister and he's going to be a punt but maybe its time for a punt.

MiM

We stayed in the same hotel as the Scotland team and they looked bored and disinterested, the only ones who looked happy were Burley, one of the physio's and the media guy but that was because they were all clearly drunk at 3am the night before the game :roll:

JoN

Agree with you about Collins and his ego, I've heard the stories about him bragging about his 6 pack and how rich he is, but maybe he wouldn't p*ss them off as much as he would in a club situation? That said there's nobody really that meets the SFA's specification i.e. cheap, available and won't disturb the cosy cartel that is Scottish football.

Sleepy

Souness has all but ruled himself out of the job but someone like him is what we need to get some passion back into the side, christ can you imagine going in at half time after that performance to face someone like Souness! :shock:

Being a Dundee United fan i wouldnt like to see Levein Leave, although he is bound to want bigger than dundee united, hes a cracking manager, tactically hes clever, he spends a loot of his time studying teams and in an a national set up, this is exptrememly important. Hes very shrewd also. Ive always though he has the mould to be one of the greats, its just a shame he had such a poor time at leicester.

If not I think Walter would do a good job, But then i could see Levvy heading to the Rangers.

Darren Ferguson? Joke

John Collins and His Ego? Joke

Jimmy Calderwood? Not a Joke, but not good enough.

Shame sounny doesnt want it, hes also be a good choice, watch the odds though, overnight Leveins gone from 5/2 to 2/1. Walters went from 5/1 to 4/1

Souness will be the guy to get Scotland back on track just like the shake up he did at Rangers. With him Scotland will move forward even with the players we have.

Souness' track record as a manger is very average.

And he won't have unlimited funding from the bank to purchase success.

I can't see him being what we need. Tactically mediocre, his wannabe hardman act would lead to a raft of call-offs from the start.

Someone who's tactically aware and has the man-management skills to get the best from a poor bunch is what we need.

If such a person is available.