Entering the shetland works league.

Guest tomtom

It is my understanding the works league may be up to 12 teams next year. I personnally do not think that teams from the A and B leagues should be allowed to 'drop down' to the works league. This is a seperate organisation and I feel the likes of Burra will end up spoiling it.

I've heard there were potentially 3 teams joining, Titans and Cosmos rejoining after a year out and a new Lerwick team being formed. Ness were also considering it but surely couldna get the numbers! That would put the league at 13 teams assuming they are all accepted and nobody drops out from last year!

I think the pitches could be a problem, only the Wast Linga, Burra and Wastside Rebels home games are played outwith Lerwick. Thats a helluva lot of games to be played on the Toon pitches when you consider A & B games along with the younger age groups!

In my opinion a couple of the teams could certainly go up a level or two, but I don't think they can be bothered with the hassle.

i agree i don't think A and B teams should be aloud to drop down, when ever they want. if they need to do it then i think all the league should be linked and the teams get promoted or relegated.

if they need to do it then i think all the league should be linked and the teams get promoted or relegated.

They are seperate organisations. I don't think any team from the works league would want to be promoted. The way I understand the work's league to be is for guys who are maybe not blessed with an amazing amount of talent to still have a game of fitbaa. I also think there is a big social side (weekend fixtures) which I don't think the works league would like to lose. I believe those who are good enough for the A league should be playing in it.

I Acillat's point was that there are A & B teams currently playing in the Works League as opposed to teams dropping down this year, although I could be wrong? There are certainly A's capable players plying their trade in the lower echelons, and players who should be knocking on the door. Think i'm right in saying that there is even a few players who represent Shetland at u18 level as well.

So are you still thinking to get a team together Penfold? I had assumed dropping out of the sixes was a kind of death knell?

I understand now, but I think you can't classify a club as A or B level, take Burra as an example they have played in several associations/leagues in their existance and currently play in the Shetland Works league. The way Shetland Football is structured at the moment means you will always see glaring gulfs in ability between teams in the same league.

The rules the works league have regarding players eligability does not stop someone playing due to their ability, they are only barred from playing if they have signed and played in another leagues competitions as I understand it? If teams are honest they are not going to turn away a good player and say sorry mate your too good for us are they?

We still hope to enter a third team from the club in to the works league if accepted at their AGM in Feb I think it is, we should be in a postition to provide a confirmed venue for our home games and a list of players by that time. The advantage for us is that we do not need to set-up a new committee or such as the club has one in place already, we also have a potential sponsor interested in sponsoring the team.