Minimum pricing for alcohol

derick

I support moves in the Scottish Parliament to introduce minimum pricing for alcohol  

45 members have voted

1. 1. I support moves in the Scottish Parliament to introduce minimum pricing for alcohol

• Yes, I would like to see fewer lives ruined and fewer lives lost to drink
    • No, everybody should be blootered all the time

I think that the problem is if you go down that route you'd end up banning/limiting many things because of how it helps people.

Would more expensive alcohol help person X? Sure, but it wouldn't help person Y Z and €, who would use it responsibly.

Would more expensive video games stop me from 'wasting my money' on them? Of course, but it would affect persons A B and U, who have done nothing wrong.

Would more expensive fatty foods help to slim down fatty people? Of course, but this would negatively affect those of us who enjoy certain foodstuffs responsibly.

In reality, we should do more as a society to help people who have problems, be it with alcohol, food or anything.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Apologies,in advance, for the thread hijack, but....)

This all comes down to what you think about the "Nanny State". Should the Government legislate to force us to change our behaviour if we won't change voluntarily?

In the case of climate change, I think they must. The Government has been telling us for the last ten years or more that we have to drive less, fly less, insulate our homes, buy more efficient appliances etc, etc. We haven't done it. So now they have to legislate to force us to change our behaviour. We've had our chance to change voluntarily, now it's down to the government.

Sometimes the Nanny State is necessary.

Edit: Fair enough, some of us have changed our ways, but not enough of us and not by enough.

Regarding climate change. What about this argument: There isn't a significant enough scientific consensus on global warming for them to act.

And back on topic:

Edit: Fair enough, some of us have changed our ways, but not enough of us and not by enough.

Who can really draw a line though?

I'm sure that's what some hope but if your pickled are you going to stop because its going to cost more. i bet home brew will suddenly become more popular. now where can i get the odd half ton of wheat.

of course the extra cost has to go somewhere is it going to go the manufacture which would be wrong or the black hole of the bank debt.

One thing never made clear as yet is what section of "alcoholic society" is a minimum price supposed to target.

"everyone" is plain stoness. If your tipple is a fine drop of Black Rum, you the price varies by £2-£3 already depending on where you shop, so 90p won't make any difference. If anything you'll buy a cheaper mixer!

If, however, you are a £1.99 bottle of wine wino, yet, its a 33% increase.

(all figures are completely random, but I hope help make my point)

Now, whilst I can see the knee-jerk logic for the winos, I also see this possibly even costing the NHS more as when you have deteriorated to that level you will probably give up the 90p of food to keep going, or change to another, illegal (and therefore unregulated) substance as already mentioned.

Then we have the "go to the pub straight from work" binge drinking crowd, who I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) cost most in both money, time and abuse, with regards to the emegency services.

Suffice to say, there will have to be a pretty brutal increase in price to affect someone who can drink pub prices for 3 nights a weekend. And if there was, it would just shorten the time, not reduce the intake.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Minimum price for alchohol i have no problems with that as long as people are means tested then the higher paid folk pay more.

Its only sugar and yeast quite simple to make . Some good vodka kits on Ebay 10 quid for 21 litres you will also need about 8 bags of sugar. I dont think their is a minimum age to buy these kit either which makes a mockery of the rules and regulations our goverment dreams up.