The police

stephen

This is a bit of a complaint, and has also been reported through the proper channels also. I just wanted to see if others have similar problems.

I have been driving for 10 years and never been pulled over by the police... until moving to Shetland! So far I have been pulled over for the following:

- An indicator bulb failed whilst indicating and unfortunately a police car was behind me and pulled me over and gave me a ticking off. They admitted they seen it working and then fail, but pointed out that I had to get it changed... hmmm....

- I was going around the painted round-a-bout up at Anderson High, seemingly my rear driver-side wheel clipped the white paint - that warranted a ticking off!

- I swerved (at about 15 mph) to avoid something on the road, when there was nothing on the other side of the road. Basically, completely as stated in the Highway Code (I checked!). Yeah, that warranted a ticking off.

To be fair, the police people were generally quite pleasant, but seriously - why don't they get out of Lerwick, and sort out some of these kids that drive at 100mph+, and stop dealing with trivial stuff?

No dont let them out of Lerwick, cause they and most others on out of town roads drive FAR TO CLOSE to the car infront. The Police should know better. Driving out of town requires you to actually leave some distance between you and the car infront.

Yet again.. ANother lets have a moan thread because I think I have been hard done by!

I think people need to get a grip, the police will be the first people you will call in your time of need, yes they have a job to do, just because you think you have been "put out" lets have a rant on a public forum..

Road saftey covers all aspects weather that be making sure your driving is ok and you not drunk? Making sure no-one is going to get a plank of woor through there head if you have to brake.

This just seems a great wast of time. Is there not already a "police" thread running?

:?

Not going to get into this thread ... but wood or anything sticking out of a 'side' window in any moving vehicle is not a 'cool' thing to do!!

totally agree. but its a good excuse to check for insurance and mot.

there are always loads of cars with broken lights coming out of lerwick. so the odd stop and warning is a good idea. after all they could impose fines and points.

they had a good spot for a speed trap a couple of weeks ago. near the end of the whiteness school 20 mph zone. i wounder if they caught anyone. its always tempting to pick up speed after passing the school.

One thing can lead to another, drunk drivers clip kerbs and white lines and weave the road so why not stop a vehicle for clipping a line.

Drug dealers use cars so cops stop cars to see who's on the move so if your indicator isn't working then they will use that to stop and get a polite chat to establish who you are and if all is in order.

Basically what Im trying to say is that your complaint is about the Police doing their job, at this minute in time the cops in Lerwick are getting a very hard time from everyone and now your bumping about them being polite and actually doing the role they are appointed too.

Alot of good work is done by Shetland Police and you forget that their primary role is to "PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY" if that means by checking that your vehicle is up to the required road safety standards then so be it, it may actually increase your awareness of vehicle maintenence and prevent accidents.

You don't have many cops here and they work hard, very hard, despite the disgruntled few here who insist that they are lazy and bored, quite the opposite, the public at large demand a great deal from the Police and expect them to deal with everything from reassuring them to making the ultimate sacrifice.

How about you break the mould and actually show some support for the folk who make it possible for you to vote democratically and uphold your rights to civil liberties as a law abiding citizen.

In your complaint you state the Police were polite and afforded you advice in situations when they could prosecute you, yet you see fit to make and official complaint about them, how stupid you must feel for complaining about cops who were leniant and showed you moderation.

I guarantee that it is because of people like you that the Police are loosing their discretion, because you complain about their moderation and lack of prosecution, Police chiefs will, and do, insist that next time their cops issue tickets so consider yourself lucky as next time you will be prosecuted, I guarantee it.

WELL DONE.

I totally agree that the police are 'just doing their job', but to be stopped 3 times in a week for what I was by the same police people is a bit... strange. And with respect to clipping the round-a-bout, if it was my O/s rear when I clearly made the effort to navigate the markings which means they had no right to stop me.

I swerved a hazard on the road as stated by the highway code - they had no right to stop me.

My bulb failed as they were watching - which is dubious.

My point is when they stopped me, even although I was 100% in the right they would not accept this. If stopped by the police I will assist where I can, but when they are being pedantic and you feel slightly victimised you really do wonder!

I guarantee that it is because of people like you that the Police are loosing their discretion, because you complain about their moderation and lack of prosecution, Police chiefs will, and do, insist that next time their cops issue tickets so consider yourself lucky as next time you will be prosecuted, I guarantee it.

WELL DONE.

That is a bit rich BEAR, the police are loosing their discretion... come on. If you get pulled over 3 times in a week by the same two coppers, where in 2 cases you can prove you were in the right, and the other was a bulb failing as they sat behind you....

I support the police and have no doubt they are tring to do a good job, but, coincidence? hmmm

they had no right to stop me.

The mere fact that you are driving on a public road is enough grounds to stop you, they dont need to start thinking of excuses to stop you!

As BEAR stated, they do a job, im sure you wouldnt be enjoying it if someone started going on about you and they way you work.

At the end of the day they are there for the greater good, whether you agree or not, but im sure just becuase you think that you shouldnt have been stopped, the police are going to go away.

Have you thought about the time of year aswell, Winter road conditions, vehicle saftey etc.. All the more reason to be stopping cars.

they had no right to stop me.

The mere fact that you are driving on a public road is enough grounds to stop you, they dont need to start thinking of excuses to stop you!

As BEAR stated, they do a job, im sure you wouldnt be enjoying it if someone started going on about you and they way you work.

At the end of the day they are there for the greater good, whether you agree or not, but im sure just becuase you think that you shouldnt have been stopped, the police are going to go away.

Have you thought about the time of year aswell, Winter road conditions, vehicle saftey etc.. All the more reason to be stopping cars.

if the chap had not done something wrong like his bulb going. then a police officer has to have a reason to stop you they can't just stop you for the sake of it. if it was the same two police 3 times in a row did any of them follow the complaint.

a person has the right to complain if they feel victimized. afterall they may be.

I have been stopped a couple of times for routine stops to check tyres and lights which i don't mind! other than the last time i was stopped where i recieved a warning for using my mobile phone while driving! which i found strange as it was dark (so they couldn't of seen it if i was) and that the battery was flat so i wouldn't of been able to use it anyway! And while on the subject of the police i would say the two worst pieces of driving i have seen in shetland have both been carried out by the police!