Social difficulties and cultural adoption

trout

Guest Anonymous

GypsyScy makes some very valid points there, in regard to this thread.

I find it hard to believe the negative posts, purely because I'm an outsider in the community I live in, and have only been met with friendship and welcome.

Part of the problem with any online forum, and I'm as guilty as anybody, is that folk think they can hide behind their anonymity, say what they like, and get away with it. WRONG!!

In Shetland, although I don't live there any longer, everybody knows who I am: http://shetlopedia.com/Auld_Rasmie it's not hard to find, so 99% of what I post comes back to bite me in the tender regions.

Shetlanders, and Shetlink, need to take time out to nurture the connections with the new incomers to Shetland from Europe. Most of these people are coming to Shetland to fill vacancies for jobs which can't be filled by the local workforce. Their presence as Doctors, Dentists, Fish Factory Workers, Building Labourers, etc., should be welcomed. And I think this topic, and Shetland, should move towards making every effort to help them integrate.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone mentioned earlier about Brits behaviour abroad and I think you'll find its been noted in certain countries where Brits have a bad name that the police are more likely to arrest them due to this and are far more leniant with locals...hence the number of court cases statistically are far higher...makes you wonder...

xoni i agree entirely, the drunken holiday makers so called. There would be hell on if that started here. Rasmie , everybody who moves to a new place, wherever it is, either fit in or dont, i hope your no meaning we aa have to change to suit a handfull ?, vast majority of ALL incomers just go about their everyday chores as is Shetland culture

Where there are language difficulties it takes time to assimilate. I was amused to hear two different kinds of East Europeans chat in their new-found common language, English, but an English which used a lot of Shetlan' words.

They are no more alien than other incomers from Scotland, England or Wales. The Irish have always had a free pass.

Some come from very different cultures (bagpipes, men in skirts etc) and it takes time to fit into our community.

I know a couple of 3rd generation East Europeans who with their broad Shetland accents and anglicised surnames are totally assimilated into our community and no-one would guess they were of Ukranian and Russian stock.

Shetland has always welcomed incomers - we need them top bolster our population and refresh our gene pool.

A lot of people have yet to master their own language, never mind critiscise others for not mastering someone elses. They feel threatened when "johnnie foreigner" starts to come ahead. But at the end of the day we're aa' Jock Tamson's bairns.(Clann MhicTamhais)

^^

yes, but then they didn't have the breathalyser and drugs were pretty rare and generally speaking domestic abuse and child abuse were kept neatly under the table. Peope tended to kowtow to authority more and were scared of the police/minister/doctor.

Todays young Shetlanders dopn't kowtow to anybody, know their rights and are not afraid to challenge authoritarian issues.

So on the whole things are probably a lot better now.

is there anybody else posting on this thread that can mind the Shetland times when there were not court reports every paper ? ,and there was hardly any polis? and was that better or worse?

^^

yes, but then they didn't have the breathalyser and drugs were pretty rare and generally speaking domestic abuse and child abuse were kept neatly under the table. Peope tended to kowtow to authority more and were scared of the police/minister/doctor.

Todays young Shetlanders dopn't kowtow to anybody, know their rights and are not afraid to challenge authoritarian issues.

Rasmie is right, but there is another interesting factor that many people fail to remember. In 1973, there was a change in the law. Prior to that most traffic offences and minor crimes had been dealt with by the police, with fines etc. But after that, all of them went through the court, and therefore they all appeared in the Shetland Times. The crime statistics in Shetland shot up for that single reason, and the space given over to crime in the paper likewise increased dramatically. But in people's minds, the increase was remembered to have come a few years later, during the construction of Sullom Voe. People wanted to believe that incomers were more criminally-inclined, as they still do. But the facts were far more interesting.

is there anybody else posting on this thread that can mind the Shetland times when there were not court reports every paper ? ,and there was hardly any polis? and was that better or worse?

An apparent increase of crime does not necessarily mean an increase in crime. There is more pressure on police forces than ever to perform and meet targets, so they are performing better and therefore finding more crime. Crime could have been at the same level for the last ten years, but with the police detecting more crime, it gives the illusion that Shetland has an increase in crime.

For example, if the Shetland polis had an amnesty on knifes, they might report a larger number of people carrying knifes than they thought.

Crime statistics are never simple.

^^

i can never mind any fear of anybody as a boy, the minister got politely ignored , the doctor had respect, and the polis werent an issue cos u didnt take the p*ss and never saw them , i can only mind the polis lookin at gun licences once a year. Changed days and culture n not for the better in 30 years