Worst Gig You've Ever Attended?

JAStewart

Has anybody else seen franz ferdinand?

Once. About three years ago, when they were still a bunch of struggling art school types in Glasgow.

To be honest, I can't really remember what they were like. I quite like their records though. Are they poor live?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it was still a pretty good show, I once saw Ben Folds Five and the bassist had to run off to the loo part way through, leaving the rest of the band just standing around talking for three or four minutes.

Although it was still a pretty good show, I once saw Ben Folds Five and the bassist had to run off to the loo part way through, leaving the rest of the band just standing around talking for three or four minutes.

I would love to have seen them.

Absolutely brilliant band.

• 6 months later...

(** Mod edit - taken from another thread **)

Mine is most definitely Aphex Twin in the US of A. Why he bothered to turn up I don't know. In fact, considering the main thing on stage was dressed as a pink bunny rabbit, I am still not entirely sure he did turn up. He played a 35 minute set, the lights came up, and we stood around waiting for the second half to start..... 20 minutes later I decided I really didn't like him that much, especially his talent for ripping people off... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Tricky one that. I've never been to any real stinkers. I saw the Stone Roses final gig at the reading festival that was notoriously slated, but I was so in awe at seeing them that i wasn't really that disappointed with their performance.

I've seen bands i dislike at festivals, but that's more to do with my prejudices than a particularly bad performance (starsailor, for example).

erm... let me think about this one...

was it a bad gig, or is it just the most embarrassing one you've been to?!

Most embarrassing was some second rate irish bloke in the same vein as Daniel o'Donnell, which I got hauled to by my mum and dad when they came to visit me in Dundee once. It didn't help that i was the youngest person in the audience by at least 25 years, and every time he started a song i was overcome by massive fits of the giggles... :oops:

I went to the Fleadh (Celtic Festival) in Finsbury Park in North London in 1995. There were some great acts like Shane McGowen, Dubliners, Kirsty McColl, Van Morrison, Saw Doctors etc... and guess who else was in the line up... Boyzone! (miming badly to an equally bad recorded backing track)... I witnessed 10000 people trying to get into the beer tent at that point (and I was one of them).

It was the most embarrassing and the worst... I went to Neil young and crazy horse, but alas I cant remember much of it other than I think it was good... I was ummmm floating on the ceiling... I was starving when I had went round to my partner at the time's mates house... and there was tea and cookies going around ... little did I know... :oops: :roll: spent the whole night 8O 8O

• 11 months later...

A David Gray concert at the Corn Exchange in Edinburgh circa 2005/2006.

What an absolutely shocking place for acoustics. People were talking away .. and it was verberating into the roof space and being amplified over and above Mr Gray.

He ended up getting pretty annoyed and asked everyone to shussh.... imagine!

Anyway .. I've never been back to a concert there ... gash!

Believe it or not, The Pixies, SECC 1990. Nothing to do with the band; they were excellent but part of the stage collapsed as they were going into their third song, a few people got injured, and the gig was cancelled. Serious, serious downer. Saw them again a couple of years ago at a festival in France--little older, little less energy, and a Frank Black that made me worry about the stage structure yet again (sorry Frank, cheap jibe), but excellent band nonetheless.

...of course the SECC was a disappointment but being honest--worst gig ever--May & Mackie, Cunningsburgh hall.

Of the ones I've worked at:

Joy Division - Margate Winter Gardens, early 80s. They turned up, did thirty-five minutes (yes 35!) and left. Almost got killed in the resultant stampede towards the box office.

Leo Sayer - Margate Winter Gardens, a week after Joy Division! Off key, poor audience experience and prima donna backstage. Oh joy!

Gary Glitter - Bradford Uni, mid 80s. At one point he dropped to the stage and as he'd already been stretchered off at another venue prior to his arrival in currytown we thought he'd had another heart attack and the stage manager closed the tabs and called an ambulance. Sadly this was the highpoint of the evening.

I also was dragged to a Will Young concert somewhere on Hamdstead Heath, West London. Outside, horizontal rain and not allowed to sit in the folding chair I'd brought with me. What a gig. Couldn't hear for the weather, wet butt from sitting on the ground, and as the stage was some distance off with no big screens, it could have been anyone prancing about singing in the wrong key.