Scottish Independance?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think independance could only be a step forward for Scotland.

Devolution has proved itself to be politically impotent, but nevertheless a step in the right direction.

Whilst I abhore the kind of nationalism that defines itself against an 'enemy', I'm all for Scotland learning to both celebrate and take care of itself. I think independance would restore the right kind of national pride. I also believe that we're resourceful, creative, and intelligent enough to make independece economically viable. Now's the time...

If we become independent would we then choose to join the EU? I like the idea of having a union with other countries in the ideas that we can be united yet we still have our own identity. Really I don't have a problem with an independent country but it's the idea of that the more independent countries there are the more we are seperating outselves from eachother. Maybe I sound like a hippy? Maybe I'm not making sense - I don't know. All I know is - as much as I'm going off topic here, but that the EU is good in some respects, but I can't stand all those EU regulations. I just can't! What gives them the power to tell us "Oh you can't transport sheep in two leveled trailers anymore" What proof do they have to condem this? Also all this over cleanly hygenic nonsence. Soon all the future generations will have asthma, mark my words!

Sorry I had to rant.

What gives them the power to tell us "Oh you can't transport sheep in two leveled trailers anymore" What proof do they have to condem this?

They don't have any proof. Some of my parks are steeper than the ramp into a trailer, but the lambs don't go rolling down the hills!

Exactly, it seems as if someone just gets paid per ridiculous regulation he can come up. It's like something out of Monty Python.

• 1 year later...

Does the Government take-over of Scotlands banks spell the end of independence for Scotland?

If Scotland had been independant, it would now be in a similar state to Iceland.

Thank heavens that the people voted to remain part of the United Kingdom, at least we were able to be bailed out in the current financial crisis.

• 3 weeks later...
Does the Government take-over of Scotlands banks spell the end of independence for Scotland?

Nope. No ony more as Goverment take-over o Scotland's coal mines, shipbuilding, and steel industry spelled end o Scotland. It wis da end o dat industries though - ah The Union Dividend!

Hmm - educated self-confident population, infinite renewable energy, ability ta set own priorities and deal with own problems. Doesna soond dat bad, irrespective o temporary problems o daft banks! Iceland will be absolutely fine - how petty you soond tryin ta make political capital oot o dis. Pathetic.

Explain how banks in America - (er biggest economy in world) - collapsed.

Explain how Norway wis able ta inject capital (hint 'money', 'set aside', 'rainy day') inta der system, despite (gasp!) no bein pairt o 'Titanic UK'

Nope.

If da UK hedna followed Republican USA in dismantling bank deregulation at wis pit in place ida 30s eftir da Great Depression, we widna be whaur we ir at. An if UK hed spent some time an money preparin fur Peak Oil an resulting credit shock, as opposed ta unprovoked invasion o a country at wis nae threat ta wis, an da death o hunders o thousands of fok, fur naethin, we widna need bailed oot ida first place.

Classic Scottish Cringe arguments, Pleepsie - dunna pleeps.

^^^

http://www.sundayherald.com/news/heraldnews/display.var.2465001.0.support_for_independence_in_decline.php

SUPPORT FOR independence has slumped in the wake of the global financial crisis, with barely one-third of voters now backing the SNP's key policy, according to a new opinion poll.

With the UK tipping into recession, and on the eve of a crucial by-election, support for withdrawal from the union has fallen by four percentage points in just three months.

http://www.sundayherald.com/news/heraldnews/display.var.2461523.0.0.php?act=complaint&cid=1952485

Independent experts estimate that the total support for Scotland's banking system when support for inter-bank lending is added amounts to an incredible £100bn - equivalent to the whole of Scotland's annual GDP. Very few serious commentators believe that Scotland on its own could have rescued our two great banks. The SNP's case for independence is in tatters.

And contrast this with the heartbreaking predicament of some of our nearest neighbours. Ireland is in recession and now with an emergency budget raising taxes and cutting child benefit; Iceland on the cusp of bankruptcy.Norway's oil fund has in recent months lost all the profits it has made in the last decade.Until now these were the economies that set SNP pulses racing.

'Iceland will be absolutely fine - how petty you soond tryin ta make political capital oot o dis. Pathetic.'

I'm afraid that it is you who sound rather petty whilst you ignore the dire financial straits of this country. Iceland raised interest rates to a record 18 per cent from 12 per cent as a condition of a proposed $2bn loan from the International Monetary Fund to help rescue the stricken island.

Iceland applied to the Washington-based organisation for the emergency loan after its banking system collapsed and is seeking another $4bn (€3.2bn, £2.6bn) from some Nordic and other central banks.

'Pathetic' just about sums up your grasp of the point I was making.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/2711051/Taxpayers-8000-Barnett-Formula-bill-for-services-in-Scotland.html

The report says that since 1985/86, public spending in Scotland has been £102 billion higher than if the country was funded at English levels.

Mr Salmond's nationalists often argue that Scotland is actually subsidising England through tax revenues from North Sea oil.

But Mr Denham says that the argument only carries weight at times of extremely high oil prices.

And even if Scotland were able to claim the majority of revenue from the North Sea, he calculated, Scotland would only have made a net contribution to the Treasury in five of the last 23 years.

"Even taking account of oil, the underlying issue of English taxpayers funding premium public services in Scotland remains, and will become more serious in years to come," Mr Denham said, referring to declining North Sea oil production.

Yet more fuel for the argument to remain part of the UK

quote derick

'Explain how banks in America - (er biggest economy in world) - collapsed.

Well, to put it simply for you for years the banks have been lending huge amounts of money to people who can't possibly pay it back.

If da UK hedna followed Republican USA in dismantling bank deregulation at wis pit in place ida 30s eftir da Great Depression, we widna be whaur we ir at. An if UK hed spent some time an money preparin fur Peak Oil an resulting credit shock, as opposed ta unprovoked invasion o a country at wis nae threat ta wis, an da death o hunders o thousands of fok, fur naethin, we widna need bailed oot ida first place.

I hope the day never dawns when the UK puts 'money' ahead of helping oppressed people whether or not we ourselves are under threat. We have always stood up to bullies and tyrants and I hope we always will.

I will finish by saying that I would rather 'pleeps' than 'irp' as you do.

Nope.

Classic Scottish Cringe arguments, Pleepsie - dunna pleeps.

Absolutely spot on. The brown years have effectively demolished our country's financial system. Short sighted greedy voters again, as always. The British people in general have now been proven to be stupid, now clearly self-evident.

The reason the English have been so prosperous over the past two decades is because they were piling into unsustainable debt helped by the clever trickery of the city of London. EXTREMELY irresponsible of our government to relax the lending rules, now we WILL pay the price for our greed over the next few decades. We will get what we so rightly deserve. I feel no sympathy at all.