Shetland Boxing

Siggy

Yeh you hire a hall and invited your friends.

can i see your constitution?

are you guys insured??

Am sorry guys but your were we were 2 years ago. you can't just open a club in boxing. there is an official governing body you have to register under. MMA is a reletivley new sport were boxing has been around for decades and everything has to be set in stone. theres guys who couldn't fight as an AMATEUR boxer but was aloud to fight pro mma because he failed a brain scan in the boxing medical.

what am saying is... you don't know all the things we have to do to get a BOXING club going. so dont tell us it's easy. And don't go giving your club a bad name before you've started. Show respect.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

steroid rage??? THats wht people want a club for geting fit and well boxing, i mean realisticaly how may people up here are going to go pro boxing compatitions? One or two maybee but not the whole club.? The mma club is for people who want to learm mma and get fit and in my views it is serving its purpose very well. To be fair i or neither of the clubs want to be enimies sooo.... Resetept =)

Yeh you hire a hall and invited your friends.

can i see your constitution?

are you guys insured??

Am sorry guys but your were we were 2 years ago. you can't just open a club in boxing. there is an official governing body you have to register under. MMA is a reletivley new sport were boxing has been around for decades and everything has to be set in stone. theres guys who couldn't fight as an AMATEUR boxer but was aloud to fight pro mma because he failed a brain scan in the boxing medical.

what am saying is... you don't know all the things we have to do to get a BOXING club going. so dont tell us it's easy. And don't go giving your club a bad name before you've started. Show respect.

Yes you are right we did hire a hall and invited our friends along.

Shetland MMA is not an official club, its just a bunch of people who are interested in MMA and want to learn a bit while also being a good way to keep in shape.

Basically its just a bit of fun really but of course we would like our club to get bigger and some day be an official club but for now we are happy with how it is.

I think Gav was meaning that it would be good to get together as we do with a bunch of you guys who have some boxing experience just to learn some techniques and do some sparring. I am sure it does not have to be an official club with insurances to do that.

Good luck in getting it set up properly though. I would also be interested if you do get it going properly.

well ofcourse your going to have natural wastage but it's about giving people the opppurtunity. For the future really. You can't go pro without going amateur first in boxing. It's almost seen as different sports.

I completely agree. There is no fued between boxing and MMA. And with our 2 clubs being the forefront of combat sports in Shetland we should help eachother.

I looked into what you would need for a MMA club. As far i can tell theres no governing body in britain. So You could be closer then you think at getting it set up. Just get qualified coaches.

If either club would like a hand with fund raising or setting up i would be more than happy to lend a hand. It's about time that someone started some kind of defence class in Shetland because after 2 and half years of living in Shetland this is something that i have really missed. welldone to both clubs.

:)

• 5 months later...

As close as we got. It doesn't seem possible to open a competitive boxing club in Shetland at this point in time. A few of our main members are now resorting to travelling south regularly to carry on.

There is people setting up a club and this club is not competitive boxing (yet) and we will not be involved with them in anyway.

That being said we hope they support and show boxing in a positive way and wish them all the best.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...