Road condition reports - Snow, Rain, Fog, etc

khitajrah

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[major sarcasm mode on]

See if you're coming oot or going into Voe .. just there before the toilets or after depending where you're coming/going .. that there is a bad bit!

See ... the funny thing is it's quite landlocked there and there's a loch right there too ... brr .. cold! See the loch it kinda makes things colder for some reason ? Something to do with waater they say? That and its pretty much landlocked funnily enough??!! Dunno though ... could be somebody left the freezer door open in the toilets?

Then basically aa alang there tae the Lang Kames .. bit of an issue. Hey, the funny shiney slippy looking road is a giveaway though, no?

*sigh* .... wish the SIC would grit there, especially on Christmas Day! Why is this not like living in a city? Grr .... Gr.... Grrr.>!!!

[major sarcasm mode still on]

Re gritters . We were in Strichen 2 weeks ago . Small village not as big as Scalloway and the gritters ran constantly thru night ! Gritter came in here lunch time just before we went to town and I wish we hadn't . they obviously just came in to have there lunch drove off without laying anything down ! :( :(

I have to take my hat off to the gritters and the council. Seen a few gritters on the main roads tonight - they are really putting in a shift. Down Edinburgh and Fife way, the gritters are never this good!

I was a bit surprised to also see the pavements gritted - other than the 'big streets' in Edinburgh you never get that down south!!!

Drove out of town at about 4 tonight. Very heavy snow, the roads were awful. Impossible to see where you were on the road and just relied on the tracks that were filling in quickly.

The Scord was awful. And I had to get out to push the car up the hill on Burra after turning off towards Bridge End.

Didn't see a gritter or a plough anywhere.

Guest Anonymous
Don't forget that you can check out the SIC road weather stations.

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/icecast/

It can help to give you a heads up. Looking just now all stations are reporting under 0C.

I am sunburnt and feeling very un-christmassy.

Du's med wis aa jealous noo Pooks :lol:

I wis atil Hell a twartree days ago, an it wis -12C dere. (That's Hell, near Trondheim :lol: )

We hae a peerie skeetle o sna here, bit naethin ta budder aboot. An is fir ice, wir been drivin upö dat fir da last twa monts, bit tanks ta da sense o da Norskie law dat maks wis hae winter tyres, we niver hae ta tink aboot it.

Was out today and saw gritters all over the place. Fine job, boys! Had the fortune to follow one down Sumburgh way.

Not so impressed, however, with the inconsiderate van driver who forced me to reverse downhill and do a hill start from and unploughed passing place. Could've just paused at the top of the hill when he saw I was on the way up, but noo... :roll: they just kept on coming. :evil: Some folk just don't think.

It's especially important to remain considerate in these conditions. It wasn't just a matter of taking 10 minutes to get started again, it was that if I hadn't, it would have meant a two mile walk, with children, to get anywhere useful, and not even a mobile phone signal.

Seriously folks. Think. :roll:

^^ Poor. Unfortunately inconsiderate drivers are everywhere, they just stick out a bit more in these conditions (though they do tend to be the ones that ned up stuck, so what goes around etc.. :wink: )

Voe-Firth via Brae mostly black tracks now. It's slackend a bit up here so not bearing anymore, but inevitable black ice under the fresh stuff by morning.

I miss my snowplough..