Road condition reports - Snow, Rain, Fog, etc

khitajrah

IF the roads are that bad then surely it would be sensible to have road signs put out by the Police saying "Road closed" - that would make it clear to all

Bearing in mind that the condition of any piece of road can change within minutes, where and how exactly would these signs be placed?

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF the roads are that bad then surely it would be sensible to have road signs put out by the Police saying "Road closed" - that would make it clear to all

Bearing in mind that the condition of any piece of road can change within minutes, where and how exactly would these signs be placed?

At main roads on way out of villages perhaps? If other forces across the UK can manage it then I'm sure our lovely Police can.

One could argue that if the condition of any piece of road can change within minutes, then so could the warning re not to drive at all - but as I said, I was guilty of driving in the snow and now will apply good old fashioned common sense and not go out on the main road.

At main roads on way out of villages perhaps? If other forces across the UK can manage it then I'm sure our lovely Police can.

One could argue that if the condition of any piece of road can change within minutes, then so could the warning re not to drive at all - but as I said, I was guilty of driving in the snow and now will apply good old fashioned common sense and not go out on the main road.

I'm sure the police have better things to do than run around (in the same kind of vehicles that they are telling people to stay off the road with) moving dozens of signs around depending on the minute-by-minute changes to the conditions of the carriageway. Of course they'd then need a team of scrapers to travel to each sign to make sure it hasn't been covered by the last shower of snow..... In short, heeding their advice and applying some of that not-so-common sense must be the best option.

I always wonder what they deem to be an 'essential' journey.

^^ May not, however, be the Police as it would be the Highways Authority duty probably.

I doubt if they would be having to make countless trips and, as I stated, if other forces/local authorities can do it (Like those in the Highlands), you could argue also that lives could be saved/Police time saved by having the signage out.

^^

It works in places like the Highlands where they are closing a length of road with nothing in between, like a stretch of the A9 with no junctions between the closed barriers. It would be quite difficult in Shetland to do the same, as there are so many ways of getting to one place through side roads, loop roads etc.

I was on the gritters for 3 winters some time ago, and it never failed to amaze me the number of times some hero would drive past while we were trying to clear drifts of snow, only to find them a bit further along the road on their side in the ditch, pointing back the way they came. If a large yellow truck festooned with flashing lights and a big snowplough on the front doesn't get the message across, I doubt that a snowed over sign is going to help either.

Natural selection goes a long way to help in these conditions!

Guest Anonymous

an arrogant ignorant inexperienced driver or a drug driver would be delighted with the clear roads , but its likely as well not to say , unlike the grassing snake that took down 14 motorists just outside brae

Eh? I'm feeling particularly thick today - what does this mean? There has been a 14 car pile-up outside Brae?

i had not heard but it comes as no surprise considering as what i just pointed out , hope everybody is ok , and as i said theres a few going about here that ought to be watched , for everybodys well being

an arrogant ignorant inexperienced driver or a drug driver would be delighted with the clear roads , but its likely as well not to say , unlike the grassing snake that took down 14 motorists just outside brae

Eh? I'm feeling particularly thick today - what does this mean? There has been a 14 car pile-up outside Brae?

i had not heard but it comes as no surprise considering as what i just pointed out , hope everybody is ok , and as i said theres a few going about here that ought to be watched , for everybodys well being

Think this is about someone reporting people for driving too fast throughh the 20mph zone outside Brae school. 14 people done for speeding last week there! NOTHING to do with snow!!

simple answer here is this... dont be driving fast past schools with 20 mph limits!!!! cos if you do chances is you will get grassed up.. what would you rather have a couple people getting fined for doing wrong or a child seriously hurt... think about it!

your statment earlier fleabee really makes me wonder what sort of person you are to care more about people getting caught for doing wrong than the innocent young children who could be hurt by their wrong doing.

what is this world coming to

simple answer here is this... dont be driving fast past schools with 20 mph limits!!!! cos if you do chances is you will get grassed up.. what would you rather have a couple people getting fined for doing wrong or a child seriously hurt... think about it!

your statment earlier fleabee really makes me wonder what sort of person you are to care more about people getting caught for doing wrong than the innocent young children who could be hurt by their wrong doing.

it was in voxter on the complaint of a female member of the public , not at the school at all

SnowFlake wrote:

mhutch wrote:

it was in voxter on the complaint of a female member of the public , not at the school at all

Regardless of where you drive, there are speed limits. Don't drive above them and you don't get caught out, simple!

Sounds more like a personal axe to grind with some of your pointed comments mhutch.

This is a well known stretch for the police to check once in a while. So not necessarily requiring a complaint from a member of the public at all. Since Total and Roadbridge have been working up there, traffic quantity and speed have increased.

Gone off topic I know but I drove at 20mph when in a 20mph zone near a school a few weeks ago and have to be honest, didn't see any indication as to where the 20mph zone ended which really concerned me because I always attempt to vigorously look out for signs, etc. I asked hubby if he had seen the "end of" sign and he said no but said it must be once you've past the school.