Road condition reports - Snow, Rain, Fog, etc

khitajrah

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that today with the forecasts - that even if you get where you need to get - will you be able to get back! - is that journey really necessary! Keep yourself safe and everyone else safe. easy for me to say being in da toon i know - but we all knew this was coming - dinna come tae da toon if you dinna hiv tae - you might no get back later in da day.

I work nights in town and am never sure if I'm going to be able to get back in the mornings until the ploughs have been out - luckily (for want of a better word...) we've been working way into the morning so I haven't had to chance untreated roads (Question - why don't the council have a gritter do a couple of runs up the main road through the night, especially to keep the hills into & out of Lerwick passable?) . However, I am getting pretty narked by the arrogance of the 4x4'ers - and those lucky enough to have been able to get winter tyres up here - for tailgating me while I'm driving close to my car's limit of grip, which this morning was about 40mph on the Kames. I try to drive responsibly, i.e. not holding others up unnecessarily, but there is no way these pillocks could have stopped if I had spun out, and I wasn't going to speed up just to please them.

Maybe they didn't see the car totalled in the ditch just down from the Halfway House on tuesday morning...

Totally agree with Hector House here, why do some drivers feel the safest way to drive in these conditions is tailgating! its an accident waiting to happen. Just respect that the driver going slower than you would like are driving to the limit of their car!

Personally I'd pull over and let the tailgating person pass. But I'm quite a cautious driver.

Totally agree, when/if its possible, but the road conditions I'm referring to is when the stopping places were full up with snow that stopping would result in being stranded, or visability is low and stopping may cause further hazards.

If one of these idiots hits someone in the rear in these conditions, not only will they more than likely be getting a whiplash claim against them, they will no doubt be getting charged for dangerous driving and possibly loosing there license (if they have one).

Just respect that the driver going slower than you would like are driving to the limit of their car!

Like the BMW doing 15mph down Sound Brae this afternoon?? :?

Well, they ain't called blooming motor wobble u's for nothing! :wink:

Came over the Alps about 30 minutes ago, the gritty men passed me so no problem with drifts then, the road was a bit slippy in places, but I had to stop twice as I couldn't see the road for the blizzard, don't think it'll take long before we have some big drifts build up. Bits of the main road from the North were iffy but driveable with care.