Road condition reports - Snow, Rain, Fog, etc

khitajrah

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woohoo! Snow socks (for the car :D ) arrived today, looks like I'll be using them to get to work tonight! If anyone's interested, I'll report on their effectiveness when I get back tomorrow.

Rats... this now means I have no excuse for missing the weekend work :?

How clear is the Voe-Lerwick stretch, anyone? One downside of these socks is that they can only be used up to 50kph (35 in old money I think?) so I don't want to use them if the main road is fairly clear.

My partner has recently been given snow socks for his work van and he used them this morning for the first time. He thinks they're fab - he says they make such a big difference. This was on the Aith-Voe road first thing this morning. He also said that they are really easy to put on/take off, so you can take them off if you find the road has cleared.

Onybody ken how da snaa is gain tae affect da Sumburgh airport in da nixt few days? I have a flight up fae Edinburgh on Tuesday evening, should be fine fae da sooth side bit no sure whit lik Sumburgh will be, or how dir coping with da flights. I've noticed dat a few flights are been cancelled bit a lot o dem ir landin n departin.

Don't waste your money on snow socks, they are useless.

They would be ok for getting your car out of the driveway onto the ploughed and treated roads, but that where their effectiveness stops.

They are not designed to be an alternative to snow tyres and are probably only to be used as a last resort if you are stuck.

PS, to the owner of the black '06 Ford Focus driving from the Brig o Fitch to Scalloway on Thursday night at 6pm and pulled in to the car park at the Black Gaet junction to remove the remnants of their O/S/F snow sock that was flailing about like crazy, your N/S/F snow sock is in the ditch at the back of the hill where the first turn off to the old road is.

The owner of the Blue '03 Citroen Estate driving from Scalloway to Burra on the same night, will find their N/S/F snow sock in the ditch next to Alister Inksters house in Trondra.

I have to partially disagree, Beachcaster - snow socks aren't useless, they work as advertised within strict limits. Agreed that they aren't a long-term alternative for winter tyres, but for the relatively few days in the season that the hills around Lerwick become unclimbable (for "normal" cars like mine) then they are a godsend.

Er, let me qualify that... they are a right royal pain to fit to wide tyres and don't seem to "self seat" - both mine ended up with the elasticated part sitting in a groove on the tyre tread, ballooned out and flapping madly. Not very confidence boosting for my pre-gritter travels as I was kind of concerned I'd lose one or both without realising, and then... :shock:

However, the grip was fantastic, despite the back end doing its own thing (as the postie heading for Toft this morning will testify!) I felt quite in control. A set of 4 would have made the car rock steady, but the fitting problem (and the issue of driving on cleared sections) puts me off getting more.

I still can't believe that so many drivers are not putting their dipped headlights on in these conditions and at this time of year.

A car that's still half-covered in snow and without it's dipped headlights on is almost camouflaged and un-seeable in these winter conditions.

But that's Shetlanders for you.... :roll:

One thing that surprises me, is why folk don't clear the air/heater intakes for their cars. These are usually (but not always) behind the back edge of the bonnet, at the base of the windscreen, and if they are blocked then the heating and ventilation system in the car simply cannot get the flow of air required to work properly.

Maybe folk don't realise they need to clear them, but it would help a lot of cars be less steamed up.

Clear the windscreen, then clear the airvents and all the demisting will work so much better.

Just an observation...

I still can't believe that so many drivers are not putting their dipped headlights on in these conditions and at this time of year.

A car that's still half-covered in snow and without it's dipped headlights on is almost camouflaged and un-seeable in these winter conditions.

But that's Shetlanders for you.... :roll:

It's also a good idea to clear the snow of the lights before you set off so that others can actually see the light!