Schools Closure

sharalee99

Sandwick Junior High School is closing at 2pm.  All buses are picking up at 2pm except Cunningsburgh and Quarff who will pick children up at 3.30pm.  Any parent or guardian can collect their child now from the school office. 

Other schools which have closed are:

Nesting Primary School, Bressay Primary School, Hamnavoe Primary School, Tingwall Primary School, Dunrossness Primary School, Cunningsburgh Primary School, Olnafirth Primary School and Whalsay Primary School

cant believe the council closed them yesterday and allowed them to be open today. the roads were a lot worse today and i see they closed most schools at 2:00pm, right in the middle of the working day, causing a lot of stress for teachers, pupils and parents. they should have closed them this morning and it will be interesting to see what they do tommorow. they obviously have not learnt the lessons from last year, where a similair situation happened with all the children getting to school and then closing it at the start of the day

Another fiasco of bad decisions by head of education again, as in previous years. Will she never learn, the roads in my opinion were alot worse this morning than yesterday and continue to be very bad for driving in.

I want to stand up for the Head of Schools*.

She is in a no win situation. People moan when the schools are shut and it turns out a fine day, and moan when the schools are open and there is snow. There has been much more snow than forecast, and the road conditions were described as fine by the roads department spokesman this morning on the radio.

* A "Head of Education" does not exist in the SIC.

I have no issues with the decision, it cant be easy and after all the weather is very unpredictable at times but I do feel that a mistake was made this morning by not informing us that the schools were to be open after a previously closed day. Very unprofessional in my opinion.

She is in a no win situation. People moan when the schools are shut and it turns out a fine day, and moan when the schools are open and there is snow. There has been much more snow than forecast, and the road conditions were described as fine by the roads department spokesman this morning on the radio.

I totally agree on that one, of the numerous forecast for today i saw, one was partly cloud, one rain, one light snow showers. It's came hard and fast this afternoon and was not expected.

The final choice lies with the parents,

if you believe it's too bad, keep the kids home, or, if like today the weather take a sudden turn. Grab your hat and boots an go get the little ones As many of us have done today.

They provide a service the best they, we should be grateful

In theory, we could have weather like this until the end of February, March even. If we do, it's hardly practical to close the schools every day. However, we will need to get used with dealing with it and working around it.

The condition of the roads is bound to vary across Shetland and it's for this reason that part of me thinks there needs to be a better system in place to decide and communicate on localised school closures. Also, if parents don't feel it is safe to put their children to school, they certainly shouldn't feel any pressure to do so.

Where weather is concerned, I certainly don't think we should be too critical of decisions that are made regarding service delivery - today's heavy snow showers certainly were not forecast and the roads service man did say on Radio Shetland at five to seven that the roads were actually okay.

Communication is key. Would also be good if there was a better system in place to communicate any changes to the bus routes/timetable too!!

I for one don't drive in this weather and if the bus doesn't go, I don't go.