Schools Closure

sharalee99

babygirl wrote:

Beats me why the schools were closed anyway - the roads were all clear. All it meant was I had to take another unpaid day off of work

Maybe da main roads wir clear but dirs no way all o da peerie roads wid o been clear which means school buses willna be able/willing to drive in dem to pick bairns up for school

looking at the skeld school access road this afternoon. unless the kids have got snow shoes they are not going to get there. looks very deep on the slope.

there is a lot of slush and if it snows again the roads will be dangerous for the school buses. so im guessin the westside schools will be shut again.

were the schools shut so much 20-30 years back. thou living in the soft south i can't remember getting even one snow day.

were the schools shut so much 20-30 years back. thou living in the soft south i can't remember getting even one snow day.

not that I remember, snow days were pretty rare, but our school "bus" was a landrover. To be honest there's been more snow this winter than I remember as a bairn, we did also get plenty of power cut days, quite often they were caused by snow. But they weren't "snow days", we also got sent home more often, but with parents no longer being home it's easier to err on the side of caution than try and find someone willing to take the child half way through the day.

Edit - we also had a janitor who would have dug out the drive to the school and safe paths to the front door. Makes me wonder now what time he started digging.

The road to Eid school today was ok (in Eid) but you have to look at the bigger picture in this weather. I was so glad I lived across the road fae the school when my son was younger as I would have been a wreck if he had to travel fae some of the places in the westside to Eid. It's been snowin here again not too heavy though.

A decision is being made in the morning depending on the weather overnight. Basically, its a case of listening to the radio, checking shetland news online or shetlink or waiting for a phone call early in the morning.

How is the snow fall around the island?