Schools Closure

sharalee99

Yet again we'll be lucky if the bairn gets one day at school this week. Back to school thurs, off for occational holidays fri & mon. Roads weren't too bad today from here to the school, but I'm glad that her school bus didn't have to do the West Burrafirth Road this morning.

Yet again we'll be lucky if the bairn gets one day at school this week. Back to school thurs, off for occational holidays fri & mon. Roads weren't too bad today from here to the school, but I'm glad that her school bus didn't have to do the West Burrafirth Road this morning.

Unfortunately, in the world which we live in, if a child is injured due to a slip, fall or is in an accident when being driven to/ from school the parents can take legal action against the council as if the school is open they must have decided it is safe to travel....

In my opinion, when staff can make it in (and remember they come from all over) schools should open as normal, with the decision of safety being left to the parents. Unfortunately, that will never happen as we live a suing culture.

As I said I'm glad the bus didn't have to come from westburrafirth. We have arranged our own transport for her when the school bus hasn't made it out the road. TBH we're only 2miles from the school, so she could walk.

This suing of the LA when it comes to school transport I believe is incorrect, obviously as the transport provider has the final say, it's the transport provider that has to worry about any litigation.

To blame a council for the fact a child falls on their way to school is also ridiculous, and one of those urban myths. The child does not become the responsibility of the school until they have entered school grounds. You don't hear of folk suing the school because their child's been abducted on the way to school.

I'm sure (kinda :P ) the pupils working towards exams would appreciate the chance to get advice regarding something to do over the long weekend, should they need it.

Staff don't get the days 'off' anyway - they're expected to work from home if it's not safe for them to make the journey into school. Teaching staff can, under the McCrone agreement, choose to work from home if the school is closed to pupils.