Schools Closure

sharalee99

Anyone know if the north schools are on da morn, ie brae?
Yes they probably will be. Hasnt snowed once here in Brae since the early hours of this morning. Also, roads are clear and i have been told it hasnt snowe anywhere between Brae and where the teachers live, my guess is, they are open. Unfortunately... :(

REMINDER: ALL LERWICK SCHOOLS are closed Friday & Monday as it is an occasional holiday.

Also, roads are clear and i have been told it hasnt snowe anywhere between Brae and where the teachers live, my guess is, they are open. Unfortunately...

Never knew teachers were meant to live in a specially designated area.

Been snowing all day in the Sooth Mainland

The town schools are closed because the majority of staff that teach and look after the kids live outwith the town.

Yes, but the majority of staff were able to get to school the last two days (to the tow schools, anyway).

In reply to Stephen dated 25th Feb 2010, are you aware of the police and road department advice warning people not to drive in these treacherous conditions? Many staff from the town schools live in outlying areas and need to travel a distance to get their work in the town. Therefore, should the town schools be opened for only those children whose teachers live in the town and can make it safely to work? If this was the case then that would discriminate against those children whose teachers cannot make it in.

Alternatively, classes could be doubled up with those teachers who live in the town and can make it into work teaching a class of approximately 40 children. However, this goes against the government's recommended ratios.

A final solution would be to force teachers and school staff to make a "valid" effort to drive in these awful conditions so that schools can open. Unfortunately, a teacher minus a limb poses more of a problem than no teacher at all!

Which of these solutions would you propose to the education authority? Fortunately in this case, those at the council have taken the common sense approach and shut the schools in order to ensure the safety of their staff and children.

I therefore think that you should also consider the options before judging those in authority in future.

The town schools are closed because the majority of staff that teach and look after the kids live outwith the town.

Yes, but the majority of staff were able to get to school the last two days (to the tow schools, anyway).

In reply to Stephen dated 25th Feb 2010, are you aware of the police and road department advice warning people not to drive in these treacherous conditions? Many staff from the town schools live in outlying areas and need to travel a distance to get their work in the town. Therefore, should the town schools be opened for only those children whose teachers live in the town and can make it safely to work? If this was the case then that would discriminate against those children whose teachers cannot make it in.

Alternatively, classes could be doubled up with those teachers who live in the town and can make it into work teaching a class of approximately 40 children. However, this goes against the government's recommended ratios.

A final solution would be to force teachers and school staff to make a "valid" effort to drive in these awful conditions so that schools can open. Unfortunately, a teacher minus a limb poses more of a problem than no teacher at all!

Which of these solutions would you propose to the education authority? Fortunately in this case, those at the council have taken the common sense approach and shut the schools in order to ensure the safety of their staff and children.

I therefore think that you should also consider the options before judging those in authority in future.

Firstly, I would suggest that you read the whole thread (and my previous comment) before posting such a reply. The point I was trying to make is that (and not just here) many schools close because there is a minor risk to child safety when parents choose to drive there children to school during weather such as on Wednesday. I believe that on such days when staff are able (as roads were clear from 8am) to get to school we should put the responsibility of judging the conditions/ safety on the parents. This will never happen as if schools open, and (for example) a child slips on compacted snow outside the school, the parent would be able to claim damages from the local authority on grounds of public safety. This is the reason many schools close in 'so-so' weather.

I would also like to point out that on Wednesday several schools were able to open as they had the staff required.

Perhaps my main issue is with the 'claim and sue' society in which we live, more than the schools being closed.

I would also like to point out that the conditions were not "awful" on Wednesday.

You will also find that with the staffing of schools nowadays (ASN teachers, Teaching management, and additional teachers in nurseries, art teachers etc.) you would never have such a large class as you suggest on the day mentioned. In addition to this point, this was not the point I was making!

I therefore think that you should also consider reading the entire thread before judging a follow-up post in future. ;)

In addition, I do agree with most you have said. I will not make any further comment on this as I am not willing to be drawn into an argument.