Schools Closure

sharalee99

i get the feeling most will likely be open or as said before localised closing thats maybe why they are takin ages to decide. traffic is going past here alright and it in town. so would imagine at least the town ones would be open dont know what like out the town is.

I was up around Scalloway School last night and there was no clearence of snow at all on the paths and roads around the school itself or the playgrounds and carparks. I reckon the conditions are worse this morning than they were yesterday!!! Cant see how teachers who couldn't make it yesterday are going to make it today!!

Why are people wondering after 8.00 am whether or not schools are open? I've known since 6.55am that they were all open - apart from any localised closures - cos I got up to listen to the Shetland news on BBC Radio Scotland at that time- can't pick up SIBC where I live. It was rebroadcast at 7.25 am. Went out to clear the driveway of fresh snow. Still couldn't get the car out, but had left myself enough time to walk up the road and catch the bus into school.

Why are people wondering after 8.00 am whether or not schools are open? I've known since 6.55am that they were all open - apart from any localised closures - cos I got up to listen to the Shetland news on BBC Radio Scotland at that time- can't pick up SIBC where I live. It was rebroadcast at 7.25 am. Went out to clear the driveway of fresh snow. Still couldn't get the car out, but had left myself enough time to walk up the road and catch the bus into school.

Because some people can't get a radio signal (you can't pick up SIBC, I can't pick up Radio Shetland or SIBC) and for some reason it has not been posted on the usual online places.

Because some people can't get a radio signal (you can't pick up SIBC, I can't pick up Radio Shetland or SIBC) and for some reason it has not been posted on the usual online places.

Good point, zebedee. I, wrongly it seems, just assumed that BBC Radio Scotland was more widely spread than SIBC. But that aside, I agree that a more up-to-date reporting system is required.

I also think it may have been a case of folk being surprised that there was to be no closures! As it was seen with Burra closing late on parents were thinking they would get a last minute call to collect thier bairns! Listening to SIBC, they were also waiting for word and seemed surprised that there wasn't any!

Just to give a bit of insight into how the notification system works:-

As far as updating the Shetland News is concerned, the SIC usually call between 6.30am and 7.30am to let us know if we need to put up a notice.

They only tell us when there *are* closures, so if there is no notice on the website by around 8.00am then we haven't heard anything, so you can reasonably assume everything is OK, at least officially.

Local (individual school/college) closures are another matter, but we don't always get to hear about those, as those decisions are not made centrally by the SIC.

Hope this helps with the other mornings ahead of us.

Take care and keep warm!!