Breaking Down

Peerie Tr00ker

Hi

I've often wondered what you'd do if you broke down in Shetland.

Everytime I drive from Whalsay to Lerwick I always wonder what would happen as there are no houses for miles, no signal till your nearly at town. Some times i've drove all the way and only passed a couple cars.

Especially in this weather I really wouldn't like to be stuck in cold conditions with a baby in the car.

Would your mobile be able to call 999 even if its out of signal and get help that way?

Firstly you shouldn't call 999 unless it is a medical or serious emergency.

I find that even in outlying areas the mobile phone signal isn't to bad, and if you are out of range a 10 - 15 minute walk gets you back in range.

Also, some simple steps can get you through near-enough anything. Remember to keep warm clothes/ blankets in your car and a few high calorie snacks, ensure your spare is serviceable, ensure you have a shovel, first aid kit and anti-freeze etc.

It is also a good time to have your car checked over by a mechanic, change your oil and check the anti-freeze.

It can also be a good idea to get a wee bit education in terms of car maintenance.

I find that even in outlying areas the mobile phone signal isn't to bad, and if you are out of range a 10 - 15 minute walk gets you back in range.

I'd like to try that when heavily pregnant in the snow with a 1 year old to push!!! you'd freeze before you got anywhere

i've tried to make calls on that road and the only place you get a signal is just when i get to the bottom of that big hill past tingwall airport

travelling from whalsay on the ferries the car is always stocked with blankets and food

i guess you'd just have to wait for the next passing car and hope it stops

... with a 1 year old to push!!!

You must have a super all-terrain buggy. I found out yesterday afternoon that mine is absolutely rubbish in the snow and ended up having to carry it home (baby inside) and guide the whinging 3 year old in the right direction in the horrible snowy gale. No fun whatsoever.

Hi

I've often wondered what you'd do if you broke down in Shetland.

Everytime I drive from Whalsay to Lerwick I always wonder what would happen as there are no houses for miles, no signal till your nearly at town. Some times i've drove all the way and only passed a couple cars.

Especially in this weather I really wouldn't like to be stuck in cold conditions with a baby in the car.

Would your mobile be able to call 999 even if its out of signal and get help that way?

is kinda hard to explain where theres signal when i know the place names n you might not. Theres a signal at the bottom of that water tank road near pettawater, and again where that cro is in the middle of the kemms which is no full signal but maybe enough to raise the alarm, then again at the nesting junction, maybe no much help