Thistle / Delting

Radarman

It's nothing to do with who the player is or which club he wishes to play for/leave. There are rules which must be followed and processes that must be adherred to. In this case this has clearly not happened, though which party has been at fault is not clear and i doubt will become clear until the next SFA monthly meeting.

There are four parties.

Thistle have done nothing wrong.

The player has signed for two clubs.

Delting HAD to know.

And the association have two forms, one legit and one not.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

2. Delting, in my opinion, shouldn't be signing players from the Ness who will mean a lad from the parish will no longer get a chance in the first team (incidently a policy Delting felt strongly about before now?)

So it is fine for Thistle to sign players from "Da Ness" which will mean a lad from Lerwick will no longer get a chance in the first team!

So it is fine for Thistle to sign players for the West Side which will mean a lad from Lerwick will no longer get a chance in the first team!

Could that be considered double standards?

2. Delting, in my opinion, shouldn't be signing players from the Ness who will mean a lad from the parish will no longer get a chance in the first team (incidently a policy Delting felt strongly about before now?)

So it is fine for Thistle to sign players from "Da Ness" which will mean a lad from Lerwick will no longer get a chance in the first team!

So it is fine for Thistle to sign players for the West Side which will mean a lad from Lerwick will no longer get a chance in the first team!

Could that be considered double standards?

I didn't say it was fine, in fact I also think that is wrong.

And in that case if the said player wants to move whits wrang wi Ness United?

Guest Anonymous

I think everyone needs to get a grip considering that this is Shetland football. I also think folk shouldn't be so bold in their claims on suspensions and deduction of points when clearly they don't know the full facts of the case.

It appers the said player has made a mess of the situation, thats a given, but at the end of the day this scenario has been played out in shetland football before and no punishment has ever been dished out before. Get a grip raderman :cry:

I can't claim to know much about this incident but the one thing strikes me (if it's true) is that anyone offering / accepting employment based on someone's participation in amatuer football needs their head looked at.

So many questions are raised.

1. What if it doesn't work out?

a/ He could be crap at his job. Does the boss/manager keep him on because of the team he plays for?

b/ What if Delting hit the skids and start losing a few matches. How will that sit with the boss on a Monday morning?

2. He's locking himself into that team for the rest of his playing career. What happens if he fancies a move to another team?

3. How well will his colleagues accept him, knowing he got the job based on his footballing ability?

If I was him I wouldn't touch this job with a barge pole. I don't know who the company involved is but surely they must operate some sort of criteria for recruitment other than this.

If he's good enough get the job on his own merits (non-sporting) it shouldn't matter what team he plays for.

I find it almost impossible to believe that people would willingly put themselves in this situation.

Going slightly off-topic here but I remember watching Thistle hammer Ness at Cunningsburgh a few years ago.

Thistle had Duncan Bray (Sandwick), Stuart Smith & Magnie Malcolmson (both Quarff) Leighton Flaws (da Ness) and James ?somebody? (former Ness player) all on the pitch.

I couldn't help but wonder what the score would have been had Ness had these five, very good players.

Thistle's recent (last 15 years) signing policy makes it difficult for me to feel any sympathy for them.

Going slightly off-topic here but I remember watching Thistle hammer Ness at Cunningsburgh a few years ago.

Thistle had Duncan Bray (Sandwick), Stuart Smith & Magnie Malcolmson (both Quarff) Leighton Flaws (da Ness) and James ?somebody? (former Ness player) all on the pitch.

I couldn't help but wonder what the score would have been had Ness had these five, very good players.

Thistle's recent (last 15 years) signing policy makes it difficult for me to feel any sympathy for them.

Fair enough up to a point, but bear in mind that, particularly in (**Moderator Edit - Name removed**) case, Ness have only sporadically had an A team, and you cannot expect a player of his quality to play B team football. Going back further, Magnus and Stuart had played for Thistle from a very young age, so they were surely entitled to bear the fruits of the work put into them training wise in the early days, while James Henry had been away from Shetland before moving back to live in Lerwick and play for Thistle.

Regardless of all this though, I don't recall a Thistle senior manager offering another team's player a job in exchange for playing for his club - which is why this is a different matter altogether. Apart from being highly dubious on a moral level, it is also just plain sad that someone would stoop that low for what is, at the end of the day, amateur football.

Guest Anonymous

I think this discussion is beginning to lose its thread. The point here is that somewhare along the line a breach of rules and procedures has occurred, irrespective of who the individual is and which clubs are involved. At this point in time the said player is registered to Thistle and that is the end of the argument. Thistle can either decide to hold on to that registration, or cancel it. The registration form that Delting holds is invalid, it might as well not exist.

It will be interesting to see how this saga unfolds and what the repurcutions are?

My opinion is that Thistle are absolved from any punishment as they have done nothing wrong. It seems unlikely that he will play for Thistle in the immediate future but if the problems were resolved then the inactivity that the player has suffered seems like punishment enough. As far as Delting are concerned they haven't actually done anything wrong either. Talk of a points deduction seems nonsence unless the said player had actually played for Delting and they had won the game, which to my knowledge has not happened.

As far as some of the other points on this thread are concerned my opinions are this:

Ness Utd are thier own worst enemies and Jimson is correct in saying that Thistle should rightly bear the fruit of their hard work. Malcolmson and Smith should be commended for their dedication to the football club. It is this type of commitment that helps maintain shetland football, unfortunately it is becoming much rarer to find these days and is why shetland football is now facing a downward spiral.

Guest Anonymous

Yes, amateur football!

If it means so little to Thistle then why create such a fuss!

After signing for Delting it would appear that the player in question has made his decision. His employment status is irrelevant, if anyone is making this a big deal it is the town side.

Keeping a player at the club against his wishes is frankly pathetic.

Have Delting acted sportingly throughout this affair? No.

Should Thistle accept the fact he's made up his mind and act with class and dignity? I think so!

Yes, amateur football!

If it means so little to Thistle then why create such a fuss!

After signing for Delting it would appear that the player in question has made his decision. His employment status is irrelevant, if anyone is making this a big deal it is the town side.

Keeping a player at the club against his wishes is frankly pathetic.

Have Delting acted sportingly throughout this affair? No.

Should Thistle accept the fact he's made up his mind and act with class and dignity? I think so!

Guest Anonymous

it would appear to me that people continue to express their views when they are clearly not in possession of the full facts of the case. Who can be 100% sure that delting knew the player had signed for thistle? And in any case does a signing on form not provide for one transfer a season?

It would also appear that Mr Jimson has not been in the presence of the said player over the winter months! Or for a matter of fact been keeping a close eye on the regular attenders at Delting's winter training!

Once again Mr Jimson I would advise you be sure on your facts before you throw your tuppence worth in! Circumstance change, I suggest the petty squabbling stops and we let the said player play amateur football for any club he so wishes!

it would appear to me that people continue to express their views when they are clearly not in possession of the full facts of the case. Who can be 100% sure that delting knew the player had signed for thistle? And in any case does a signing on form not provide for one transfer a season?

It would also appear that Mr Jimson has not been in the presence of the said player over the winter months! Or for a matter of fact been keeping a close eye on the regular attenders at Delting's winter training!

Once again Mr Jimson I would advise you be sure on your facts before you throw your tuppence worth in! Circumstance change, I suggest the petty squabbling stops and we let the said player play amateur football for any club he so wishes!