internet vs. local shopping

sharney houghs

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm a big fan of amazon/play.com/ebay especially for buying games

for my kids.. was in a local store 2 weeks before xmas and the game

my kids were wanting "uncharted for ps3" which is nearly 2 years old and was still marked at £49.99 on play.com it was £14.99

It is very difficult to justify the 200% difference to yourself, however, the local store *may* have had it a while and paid much more for it than play.com are charging now. They need to try and make a profit, but there is an argument that a product that has sat on the shelf for a while has already cost you in terms of profit so perhaps you should get what you can for it, accept the loss and turn the space over to another newer product that may be more profitable.

Incidentally, while it was £14.99 at play.com, what would you have been prepared to pay locally?

I like to think I'm quite 'savvy' when it comes to getting or finding good deals when buying most of the products mentioned in this post. When buying consumables like food stuffs and drinks I don't really pay much attention, maybe thats the Alpha male in me coming out! :wink:

Anyway, what gets my goat is people who like to post and have a good moan at the standard of retailers and their staff on this website and paint everyone with the same brush. If you think you've been dealt with in an unacceptable manner then inform the management and explain your reasons then they can look at themselves or their employees, see where they are going wrong and move forward!! Rant over - back on topic.. :D

Concerning Dvd's, Games and Music, I agree, Clive's can bee expensive but generally if I want something in particular I'll go in check the price, if it is vastly overpriced I go to Play.com. If on the otherhand they are 3 or 4 quid dearer then more often or not I'll take the plunge.

When purchasing Camera equipment, binoculars and accessories I'll find out what I want, check the internet for price then head down to The Camera Centre OR Bayes which I have found on 4 or 5 different occasions last year have been cheaper or round about the same price as the internet.

If I'm looking to buy any white goods or brown goods I do the same, buy a Which magazine, find out what suits me, check the internet for price then head to Robertsons. If I can get a price around the same as the internet then I buy from them which I know I will receive good aftersales at the same time!

When I need to purchase furniture a bed or matress etc. I'll go to The Bargain Centre or LBC. I don't bother checking the internet because I like to lay on a bed to try it or I want to feel the quality of the furniture etc I'm buying. I've had some good deals from both places over the past couple of years.

Lastly, Sorry! Clothing, when I need clothes I do purchase from the internet but I do like to try jeans, t-shirts, shoes etc on first so I'll visit most of the clothes shops in the town where if you can be bothered you will find decent deals, maybe not all the time but generally most of the time! I hate having to send away for 2 sizes of everything and then have to cover the cost of postage to send back!

In general and in my experience retailers in Shetland aren't as bad as some people would like to post about and make out on here. If you can be bothered, arm yourself with prices etc, go to the local shops and be prepared to ask for discounts etc if you feel you can get something cheaper on the internet or you are being 'ripped' off!

Anyway, sorry that took so long! Have a good night and good luck researching prices for that new TV, Football boots, 4-poster bed, scart lead or the latest Ally Bain CD!!! :D

Cheers

Firstly in case anyone miscontrued my previous post I would like to re-iterate that I do support local stores.

@ ISOT, I think you've proved the point I was making a few posts ago. Places where value has been added are what is attracting trade where the price isn't too far beyond mail/internet order.

The questions remains though, how much more exactly is it worth? In the case of pallokaville's game at £14.99 from play.com and more locally, what would have been a good price locally? £19.99? £24.99 or would parity only attract custom? If the business is unable to even purchase at internet prices then perhaps they should consider a different product line that might be more profitable for them, otherwise they're going to tie up money in stock that isn't going to shift. Simple business economics really.

For my own part, a few quid extra to get a better level of customer service locally is more than worth it. I wouldn't consider buying a kettle for instance over the internet - I want the assurance that in the unlikely event of the item failing in the short term that I can pick it up and take it back, and hopefully obtain a replacement/alternative there and then. Risking no coffee for more than a day while a replacement was sourced over the internet would be too much :-)

I also wholeheartedly agree with ISOTs comments about Robertsons for white goods. You don't get customer service and support like you get from them in many places in the UK and for that their (very) slightly higher prices (if they are higher at all that is) than the internet are well worth it. On another tack, there are some stores here who have unique product lines that are very well thought of and sensibly priced. Shetland Fudge for one, Handmade Fish another, and my relatives' kids can't get enough of the Burra Bears.

@TeeAyBee. I'm expecting some negative comments to come my way but I think most of my points are quite fair! It doesn't matter whether you shop local, in Aberdeen or on the internet you will always find differences in pricing from one shop to another, you just have to wise up a bit and get out there rather than sitting on your backside in front of a computer. I've been caught out with internet companies who display great prices but as soon as you get to the checkout.......VAT to be added and oh yes...postage! So that original 'Great', 'cheap' price is not so 'Great' or 'cheap' anymore!

Already theirs another 'they'll probably be to expensive' post in another thread tonight! How do you know? Go and have a look, you never know, you may be surprised!

About the question of the game at Clives, I'm going for a look tomorrow to check that, surely he must know noone will buy that game at that price when the sequel has just come out at probably the same price. Put it down to £20, better that than getting nothing cos that's what will happen!!

Cheers

clives may be a bit more expensive but they are friendly. we were let down by another local retailer over a game consol last christmas . they have aways been friendly even when i had no idea what i was asking for.

funny enough the game consol was about 20 quid cheaper than argos.

the staff are the ones who let the shops down. even if the goods were cheaper in a badly staffed shop i would go else where. i hate shops that think they are too important to serve you.

Sounds like we're on same page of the hymnal! Another bonus of dealing face to face is that there is always the possibility of haggling or cutting a deal. That's hard to do over the internet or by mail order. Naming no names, there are a few firms who do discounts for cash up here and a few others who are willing to negotiate better terms etc. That does go back to what I originally said about adding value and adapting to the economic conditions though.

@ Paulb, yep, that's my experience of Clive's too. Very helpful and friendly, but not necessarily stocking what I want at close to the price I want to pay, but there are a few bargains to be had as you said with the console.

Shop around, including the internet, but have a clear and reasonable idea of what you want to spend and what you are prepared to accept in terms of service etc. As ISOT said, beware of web sites that don't include clear pricing for taxes and delivery. I've also fallen foul of that one - and be especially wary of overseas sites that say that they can package goods to avoid any import duty. There are no guarantees of that!

Geordie Robertson's at the hill head was able to match the price from one of the cheepest sites, OK the site wanted an extra £15 for delivery to Shetland. But heres to Geordie Roberston's, Local, good service, good prices.

Usually on a purchase like this if I can find a local supplier within £10 - £20 of the internet price I go local. I's good to get the personal touch, good to be able to ask questions and good to have someone to shout at if it goes wrong.

Although I have said it before anybody here that is interested in photography and want lenses, filters etc find what you want and go down to the Camera Shop, they are extremely competitive with the internet. I've bought 2 cameras a zoom lens and various filters etc. and they are as cheap or cheaper than the net. Also the staff are extremely helpful too!

I am in no way connected to The Camera Shop in anyway but it is probably one of my favourite shops in the town and I think they deserve a bit of praise!

Happy New Year!

Cheers

Oh and another thing - watch out for those sites who as a tenner to the price when you check out for shipping to the Highlands and Islands and then use the Royal Mail - you don't get that in the town!

they dont catch me out wi that one, does anybody fall for it ?

Oh and another thing - watch out for those sites who as a tenner to the price when you check out for shipping to the Highlands and Islands and then use the Royal Mail - you don't get that in the town!

Ebay are the absolute ruddy worst for charging a "Highlands and Islands surcharge" most claiming that the post office charges extra to cover fuel to deliver to outlying areas.

Crap total CRAP!

eg I was looking to buy a camera from a guy in Glasgow, I almost hit the "Buy it now" button then I read his delivery charges, it would have cost more to send here than to send to Greece! Yup he wanted £27.65 to post to Shetland but only £16.50 to post to Greece.

NO SALE!