Agricultural forum

Guest Matthewvl

I am up for this. I keep seeds from my crop the year before and find it is a great way to grow produce that inherits some resistance to Shetland's ever changing weather patterns!! Setting up a Shetland seed bank might be something very useful for outside and inside growing. Lets talk about it.

PS. If anyone wins the Euromillions jackpot can they buy the Tingwall Greenhouses for us to use?

Guest posiedon
Matthewvl

PS. If anyone wins the Euromillions jackpot can they buy the Tingwall Greenhouses for us to use?

A very reasonable offer was made by the Shetland horticultural society for the glasshouses some 6 or 7 years ago, it was rejected; go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea! It would be really useful to have something about growing in Shetland (garden stuff as well as veg and livestock?). I've got many books and have checked a fair few websites, but quite often they can't apply to Shetland. Fortunately, I have some great neighbours and a knowledgable aunt that I can ask for advice, but not everyone is so lucky.

Guest Matthewvl

There is another online seed business called real seeds.co.uk and they deal in keeping seed banks going. I think we do this in Shetland rather than just buying packets from the shops because most of those are hybrids and you can't plant on from them in the next season. Seeds from onions, tomatoes, chillis (yes I have grown these outside here successfully) and other vegetables that you have grown outside could be kept and traded with other like minded vege enthusiasts. I am trialling some tomatoes outside this year to see what I can do with them. I am also using raised beds for the first time time year since I find it painful digging down a lot. I am actually not going to dig this year but cover my patches with seaweed or chicken poo and then compost out of my bin and cover with black weed deterrent fabric in frames and try that for a change. Apparently you release less carbon when you don't dig deep!

You can't beat the taste of home grown veges. You really can taste the difference!!

Guest Matthewvl

Can't dig anyway as the ground is completely frozen!! unbelievable weather! I am beginning to suffer gardening withdrawal symptoms!! Anyone else keep seeds from their crops to use the following year (bearing in mind that you cannot use seeds from plants that come out of commercial packets)?