clothes shopping advice (or personal shopper wanted?)

khitajrah

I was given a prepaid Mastercard as an Xmas present. I was very excited about the prospect of purchasing an ice cream maker and a Ben & Jerry's recipe book (in an attempt to use some of the litres and litres of natural yogurt I am making into a lower fat more affordable treat). So I bought them off Amazon, using this prepaid Mastercard and alas, they no longer stock that particular ice cream maker and the card was only charged for the ice cream recipe book, and they have no other ice cream makers at the same reasonable price.

So, I figured I could get something nice to wear with the remaining balance - but where to shop? I don't do clothes shopping - I get all my clothes at the charity shop, simply because I detest clothes shopping. I don't do trendy, glamourous or girly - I'm more of an earthy, arty and practical sort of gal. Does anyone have any website recommendations for something I could wear under a lab coat at the Queen's Medical School this summer? Pretty please? (and sorry for the long-winded post)

I do all my clothes shopping on eBay, as long as you ask questions and are clear about your own sizes and be aware of individuals returns policies, you can be very specific in what you want. The search engines and options make it really easy to use. We also sell stuff on there aswell so if I get something that is not what I expected I can just sell it on! (Or put in the bag for the next clothes swapping party!! :wink: )

Really? How much was it? What colour? I really, really don't like shopping and my attention span for these websites is about 90 seconds. If you think it would suit me and it was affordable.. perhaps we could make an arrangement? ;)

Oh curse not being able to get into Lerwick!

Think it was 30quid, but as it was sale - no returns.

Although I think it would look great on you, dresses are a really personal thing. It's a pity the buses from aith aren't better.

If you fancied doing the goth/50's style can I recommend katesclothing for hell bunny dresses.

I like the 50s style, but I lack the curvy figure and hair for it, I'm afraid. I think (despite my current raggedyanne hairstyle) I'm looking for more of a steampunk/Victoriana style, but a quick Google search hasn't found anything in the UK. I've been wearing frumpy pregnancy/post-pregnancy clothes for far too long - I need my get my groove back - a new wardrobe is required!

Think it was 30quid, but as it was sale - no returns.

Not totally true. Sale goods are covered by the sale of goods act and can be returned if they are faulty or not as described no matter what some shops claim. However normally you are not allowed to take sale goods home to try them on or the like.

Oxfam has a vintage shop near us, some really fantastic frocks, tops and coats.

We got a 1930's sequined top, lace on silk with the paterns in the lace picked out with white and blue/light blue beads, it weighs 4 pounds and fits a treat (my partner). We cleaned it by constantly spraying with non bio detergent and rinced on a rack, 30 pounds for a magnificent thing..

• 4 weeks later...