You know you're from Shetland when...

Guest don't know

Guest don't know

I've just been on Facebook and come across this page: Shetland dictionary..... (and du kens when du's fae Shetland when......).

I found this peerie bit on it and thought it was quite amusing, because a lot of it seems to be quite true!

You Know Your From Shetland When............ (most of these have been added from the discussion group, named after this page)

1) You say Peerie instead of small

2) Every women is refered to as "yon wife" even if she isna married

3) You love the local delicacy of "reestit mutton". Mmmmmm

4) You know someone who has worked in the coop in lerwick

5) You understand what Up Helly AA is, (and you wish you had the day off for it too)

6) You know what it is to go for a walk along the cliffs and be tottally on your own, and astounded by sheer beauty

7) You will fly the Shetland flag proudly

8) you are either into church, sports or alcahol

9) you can stand on the beach of the North Sea, and throw a stone into the Atlantic ocean.

10) you are a freindly, fun loving person, who only gets depressed in winter cause there is no sunlight.

11) on the last tuesday of january you get a pang and you can't quite put your finger on it.

12)you go guizing at new year even though nobody is up.

13)you meet shetland people everywhere or somebody who claims to be from there.

14) Theres nothing that beats a good fresh battered fish fae the fort chippie

15) You canna pit your finger on exactly why, but onybody dat dusna hae a Shetland accent usin da wirds 'peerie', 'du' or the phrase 'du kens' bugs da hell oot o you.

16) You have to stop & wait when driving on a single track road because 2 other drivers have stopped for a yarn.

17) You can give someone directions to the Swimming Pool Carpark and be confused as to why they end up at the Clickimin

18) You would willingly hand over a kidney before casually using the word 'love' in conversation.

19) It's either Shetland or the Shetland Islands... never 'the Shetlands'

20) You know that puffin poo, is delicious and nutricious to eat, Mmmmm

21) Da Northern Lights are always da boaniest in Shetland

22) Malcolmsons Softies are da best,

23) Voe Bannocks are da best.

24) You feel like you really belong somewhere

25) The natural beauty is the best you will find.

26) The peace and quiet is amazing!

27) The pace of life is great.

28) You say 'Whit wye?' rather as 'How come?'......??

29) you ken your fae Shetland when da scottish people cant understand you, i bide in Australia!!

30) You use the word 'spaegie' because there isn't an english equivalent!

31) Du keens dus fae Shetland whan dus offered tea/coffee/soup/tabnabs (or dram, dependin whit time it is :P) as soon as du sets dy first fit doon fae da door.

I just thought i'd post it here to see what others thought of it, and to see if anybody can think of any other peerie Shetland traits which might have been forgotten about. =D

The first time you ever encounter a Bat; you scream like a school girl and run away, yelling warnings about mutant, killer insects attacking. :oops:

I screamed once when a Pipistrelle Bat flew out of my wardrobe. I screamed even more as my Parrot tried to catch it. I cornered the poor bat and put her out the window..

Bats are cool.