10pm in agony

xoni

i hope your sorted now but if your pain is that bad go to a & e. i had one last year went to the dentist had antibiotics but the pain increased on sunday i end up in hospital. i took quite a large dose of morphine to kill the pain. i had the tooth pulled a couple of days later with none effective numbing. but as you know you will do anything to get shut of the pain.

its not being a wimp and don't ignore it not that you can.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah and somehow i managed to get a couple of hours sleep , ive woken up in not so much pain but my jaw has doubled in size , its literally massive , the brae dentists are fitting me in this morning at 11.30...but im going there in a min to sit and wait hopefully be seen sooner , thanks for all your replys last night ....will keep you updated x

You don’t happen to have a husband with a Black and Decker, a very fine sterilised drill bit and a very steady hand?

I think I saw that article in December's Amateur Dentist.

Get well soon, I had to go to a&e with one of those on my cheek, absolute agony. Antibiotics cleared it up in a day or 2.

^^Eh? I've just been on http://www.shb.scot.nhs.uk/healthcare/shetlandwide/dental/ and can't see the above there.

However, the Chief Dental Officer did say he would ask IT to update the site and good if they have but why can't I find it? My PC is programmed to go to updated websites and not those stored on my PC.

It's from the link I posted earlier - http://www.shb.scot.nhs.uk/healthcare/community/support/dentists.asp

^^Cheers Fifi - perhaps a word may be required in their webmaster's ear - it would seem logical to click on Dental as I did for Shetland wide services where you can't find it. I tried to follow the http address you gave in the link and dental isn't listed!

I agree the information about what to do for out of hours dental emergencies/queries isn't very accessible. When hubby had his abcess, I thought I found the advice to call NHS24 on the SIC website, but when I look there now, I can't for the life of me find that. I only found that link I posted by googling.

Yeah ..see I did phone nhs 24 and was told twice that shetland didnt have an out of hours service ..not only this but at the height of my agony when i couldnt barely open my mouth and was in tears the woman refused to speak to my partner for me..even with my consent and insisted asking me a bazillion questions he was more than capable of answering

, the dentist at brae suggested sending in a complaint because its simply not true that there is no emergancy dental service and for her shoddy people skills..

anyway...they couldnt drain it ..its more antibiotics and hes trying to get an emergancy appointment at the hospital but seems frustrated with the proceedure and red tape involved in that , said anywhere else and it would have been taken care of last night! hats off to the dental nurse who was just brilliant at keeping us imformed and the dentist there for spending several hours on the phone to various different departments of the hospital trying to get me seen..

as it is ive come home and i will take these pills and wait for a call ....

I think perhaps the hospital procedures need to be looked at: I have a friend who spent the weekend in the hospital in extreme pain (after considerable difficulty to even get seen). They don't know what's causing the pain so she was waiting to get a scan on Monday, but alas, the sonographer is away on holiday and so she's been sent home with some paracetamol and ibuprofen, despite being doped up on morphine for the weekend, and told to come back in a week! She can barely function she's in that much pain and no one is helping. It's really worrying. :?

Have experianced exactly the same thing , i was in for a week in 2008 heavily pregnant and in terrible pain , they shot me full of morphine and voltorol ( which is contraindicated in pregnancy ) and in the end at a loss..said it was probably renal colic and sent me home with nothing resolved. I suggest your friend asks her doctor to refer her to the pain clinic.

still on meds , still waiting for a call from the dentist ref the hospital....my main worry is i wont be able to get it done ....antibiotics will be finished and it will come back again and the more meds you take the more resiliant to them you become...i really need the thing taken out now..its so frustrating

Was wondering how you were getting on.

When I had an abscess about 10 years ago (when I lived down sarf), I went to the Dentist. He prescribed one week of antibiotics (they were blooming huge damn things too) and made me book an appointment for the following week. He also advised me to take either 500mg of paracetamol or 400mg of nurofen with the antibiotics to assist with the pain.

He further advised that it was best to try to save the tooth via root canal treatment, etc., once the antibiotics course was completed.

I lost loads of weight that week which was the only good thing about it.

The tooth - got pulled out as decided root canal wasn't feasible.