10pm in agony

xoni

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still on meds , still waiting for a call from the dentist ref the hospital....my main worry is i wont be able to get it done ....antibiotics will be finished and it will come back again and the more meds you take the more resiliant to them you become...i really need the thing taken out now..its so frustrating

have you phoned them yourself and asked. remember unless the thing is healing you going to feel the full pulling. did you get some proper pain killers. the dentists say that the infection prevents the numbing to take effect. i think they are just sadists.

the best treatment i had for one was when they drilled it and cut a hole for the gunk to escape the pain went streight off. in the end its best to have the tooth pulled you then know its not coming back.

He did try that Paul but obviously the tooth wasnt dead because even the slightest tap on it sent bolts of pain through me , needless to say when he started drilling I nearly hit the roof lol...then we waited in the waiting room for two hours whilst he tried to get the hospital to see me..no luck...by then I was so desperate I asked the nurse if she would ask him if I could have another try at dealing with the pain while he drilled it but he said no ....much of the pains gone now though and the swelling , the two lots of antibiotics make me sick to my stomach but heyI guess thats normal....will give the hospital a call tomorrow.

Since all this kicked off I joined a dental forum ( trying to get advice when I couldnt get help in Shetland ) and the fact my neck was so swollen was really dangerous its called Ludwigs Angina and can literally strangle you to death ...angry with NHS 24 dosnt even come close to how I feel , I'm hoping they record all their calls because I do want the woman who dealt with me to be pulled up on it incase she dismisses someone else so flippantly. Had I got help that night I would most likely have escaped the more extreme swelling that followed , a doctor or a dentist to have persribed the antibiotics was all it would have taken.

I didnt want to say too much before for "scaremongering", but I completely understand Xoni.

Due to some broken teeth due to accidents being ignored for a number of years, I am very prone to abcesses. I have only two which have had to be drained externally via my neck, but these were by far the least painful ones.

Though an abcess hurts, the relief you feel when that drill reaces its spot is unbelieveable, its like a high!

I really cant understand why they didnt lance it for you as it seems to have been ready.

For what its worth, purely from my own experience, (with a few scars an a currently weeping abcess vent to prove it) antibiotics may kill the infection over time, but make zero impact on either the sweling or pain aspects. So anyone saying you could have been better off is probably just giving lip service :?

Guest Anonymous

is obviously more serious as mine was , but i did feel like i was doing something wrong by having an abcessed tooth , ultimately prompting me to have it drawn privately with little effect off the jabs. Is done n dusted now but the bare bones of Xonis experience and mines the same. personally i'm still a bit angry that the same tooth was ever filled to such an extent that it became abcessed in the first place, and thats on the observations of the private dentist n not my assumptions

have you phoned them yourself and asked. remember unless the thing is healing you going to feel the full pulling. did you get some proper pain killers. the dentists say that the infection prevents the numbing to take effect. i think they are just sadists.

the best treatment i had for one was when they drilled it and cut a hole for the gunk to escape the pain went streight off. in the end its best to have the tooth pulled you then know its not coming back.

Is the emboldened sentence genuine advice from a GDC registered dental surgeon or is it merely the deluded ranting of someone who has an opinion on everything and knowledge of...well...not very much, it would appear.

In case you need some clarification...every case would be treated on its individual merits. I would hate for someone to be so desperately in pain as to actually heed that advice.

Guest Anonymous

in my case i was referring to , the dentist was for pulling it if i could stand the pain n i was in total agreement , in fact i'd spent a few hours on the night trying to wiggle it out meself , is easy to criticise when you're no desperate wi toothache

in my case i was referring to , the dentist was for pulling it if i could stand the pain n i was in total agreement , in fact i'd spent a few hours on the night trying to wiggle it out meself , is easy to criticise when you're no desperate wi toothache

Exactly what I said - each case will be looked at individually.

If someone is desperate with toothache they might just be delirious enough to think that paulb knows what he's talking about.

why the attack.

Call it an attack if you like but I would say MiM's comment was actually an attempt to protect the public health. Your comment was, typically, not written as an opinion, but as an authoritative statement of fact. As your "fact" was wrong and could possibly lead to inappropriate DIY medical action, MiM highlighted this. Good on him I say.

We have noticed you have a habit of jumping in as a medical expert, apparently on the basis that your wife seems to have some kind of health job. Not only are some of those comments highly dubious from a "hospital gossip" point of view, but occasionally (like this time) they are frankly dangerous.

ive had 3 and in the end i have had 3 pulled.

So, that's proof of your unusual theory then? Brilliant :roll:

Marooned in Maywick if you have ever had one then you would know that you would want it gone.

You seem to suggest that MiM has less understanding of dental matters than yourself. You may be surprised.

why the attack.

Call it an attack if you like but I would say MiM's comment was actually an attempt to protect the public health. Your comment was, typically, not written as an opinion, but as an authoritative statement of fact. As your "fact" was wrong and could possibly lead to inappropriate DIY medical action, MiM highlighted this. Good on him I say.

We have noticed you have a habit of jumping in as a medical expert, apparently on the basis that your wife seems to have some kind of health job. Not only are some of those comments highly dubious from a "hospital gossip" point of view, but occasionally (like this time) they are frankly dangerous.

ive had 3 and in the end i have had 3 pulled.

So, that's proof of your unusual theory then? Brilliant :roll:

Marooned in Maywick if you have ever had one then you would know that you would want it gone.

You seem to suggest that MiM has less understanding of dental matters than yourself. You may be surprised.

have a re read i have not claimed anything in this thread. a

sk a denist they will tell you that pain relief before treatment is less effective with an absese.

in this thread i have agreed its horrid the pain suggested they go to the a & e if they can't cope with the pain and suggested they phone the hospital to push for the appointment. whats dangerous about that.

... in the end its best to have the tooth pulled ...

That is a clear black and white statement. From your anecdotal experience you may feel it is true, but it is misleading, incorrect and could lead people to pull teeth which are saveable.

What do you do when you have a headache, in-grown toenail or a foosty pilly? Is it amputation time then as well? I think not.

... in the end its best to have the tooth pulled ...

That is a clear black and white statement. From your anecdotal experience you may feel it is true, but it is misleading, incorrect and could lead people to pull teeth which are saveable.

What do you do when you have a headache, in-grown toenail or a foosty pilly? Is it amputation time then as well? I think not.

quite right that was my view.

i was not saying everyone should have there teeth pulled but if you have had a really bad one then the denist will probably prefer to pull it.

i had root canal work done on one and it still end up being pulled. as you said my experiance and view but the thought of repeating the pain in my cases is worth losing a tooth.

but listern to the denist and don't be scared to say if the pain is bad.