World Cup

drew_peacock

What about the 1st games then any views? I thought the Germans looked good going forwards but they are a bit suspect in defence, their right-back looked at fault for both the 1chop goals, and Ecuador looked solid performers against the Poles who seemed to lack that spark in the last 3rd of the pitch.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonjour from london!

Tell you what, they hype down here is 10,000,000 times anything Scotland put on in the unlikely event of qualifying for a major tourney.

Every news bulletin for the past month has been headed by "Scotlands National Bone" (thats commonly known as the metatarsal) Completely over the top stuff. Every 2nd car has flags on it! Every 3rd house is draped in flags . Every Scots person is cowerig inside.

I have my Trinibago shirt for next week tho, with Scotland written on the back, really hope the English supporters remember their sense of humour :?

Although i wish England well in the tournament as their team is one of the strongest sets of players and i admire the skills of a few of them, i won't be supporting them. A lot of their supporters are so arrogant and sometimes (well most of the time really) quite patronising towards anything Scottish that i see no need for me to show solidarity with my neighbours. No doubt i will endure a month of being verbally abused for being Scottish. But i have 31 other teams to "support" :D :lol: :lol:

Does anyone actually believe this hogwash about rooneys meta-tarsal? i'm increasingly believing it's all hype. Can they heal a bone faster? Or was it never that bad and they just claimed it was, or what? I'm veyr doubtful. And i'm fed up hearing about it. Football or no football. :evil:

Bones can heal incredibly fast - much, much faster than tendons and ligaments - and fit healthy people heal faster than people with compromised immune systems.

I don't think his immune system was ever in question :? ,

it would however seem as if his regular team were responsible for the hype more than the England squad. Whichever way, he has/will now achieve football legend status whether England get gubbed or win the Cup. :wink:

Rescued section of discussion thread

We are all British for goodness sake.

Not by choice!

I'm supporting Trinidad and Tobago

I believe Westside Pine are getting T&T flags in soon...

Since England and Scotland both have national teams I see no great logic in people claiming that Scotland supporters shold change their allegience to England for as long as they are in the competition.

totally agree. If America got through and canada didnt then im sure Canada wouldnt be supporting America. same all over the world...its why we have different teams because we are from different countries.

You would never see England supporting Scotland on THE MASSIVELY UNLIKELY event of Scotland qualifiying for a world cup and not england.

I will personally not be watching a single match...unless its the final and england are in it. Im sorry i do just want to see them lose because of all the adverts, Hype and crap we have to hear and see. 'Believe Bar' sign in Glasgow standing next to Irn Bru 32 sign. Believe bar saying 'Scotland 2010'...what bull. this only came about because Mars bar/believe bar sales dropped by a huge amount in scotland. every advert and product is supporting england and trying to get us to support. well to hell with it.

i only have one thing to say about the worls cup - anyone but england!!

now whay i say this is not because i am anti english or anything about the players - its theenglish media that i dont like - they go on and on and on and on about it. it would just be hell for non english the carry on they would make. i suspect the rest of the uk countires would think the same.

it also bugs me how they use the union flag as a flag of england

As I said in casual conversation the other day, "I can't understand what the big deal is". The cup can't be that important to win. Scotland didn't try very hard to get a place did they? Far better things to spend your summer doing than running around a pitch wishing you were better...

As I said in casual conversation the other day, "I can't understand what the big deal is". The cup can't be that important to win. Scotland didn't try very hard to get a place did they? Far better things to spend your summer doing than running around a pitch wishing you were better...

You should be more open to the fitba min you can get cheap beer and more time in the pub its a win win situation :D

What about England eh?

How daft is Eriksson? I dare say I could do a better job. What is he thinking employing Crouch as a lone striker in the 2nd half? All that is going to do is encourage the defense to press and Crouch is never going to get behind any defense.

He should've put on Carrick for Owen if he was tired. He then could've pushed Gerrard into a free role. Instead he put on Owen Hargreaves who quite frankly, makes me look world class.

Yeah it was obvious to the rest o da world that England tried to play the same way as the 1st half, except they had no one for crouch to knock the ball down too, typical Eriksson though to long in Italy has made him negative in his outlook, England and the other home Nations dont suit the style of play he favours. if they play like that in the knock-out stage(if they get that far :lol: ) then they will get rolled over by a more aggresive team. some comeback by the Aussies though 3 goals in 6 minutes bet the Japanese didnt ken what hit them!

On the subject of the whole "Scots not supporting England" debate, living as a Scot in England, I have to say the amount of jingoism and arrogance that leds up to major sporting events such as this can be little short of maddening.

The red and white swastikas appear on every second house and car (and lets not forget the near misses bikers have had when these things have been blown off the cars on motorways and wrapped themselves round their bike helmets), and "England is going to win the world cup!" is shoved in your face at every possible opportunity as if it's a foregone conclusion.

At the risk of broadly generalising, I feel that a great deal of the fuss isn't patriotism, it's glory hunting, and the chance to lord it over other countries as if we were still in the days of the British Empire. And in the worst cases, it's just an excuse to start a fight. One game in, and violence has already broken out in 3 major cities, in at least one of these cases at an alchohol free, family event where bottles and cans were being thrown within the first 5 minutes of the game.

And as soon as England are knocked out, the flags and strips vanish overnight, the media and supporters spend a couple of weeks crucifying whoever is perceived to have lost it for them, and patriotism is once more buried until the next chance for victory comes along.

There are of course people down here who's sense of national pride extends beyond "while we're winning at the football", but they seem to be a minority, if only because everybody else is so in your face.

As much as I hate the English/Scottish rivalry thing (and living up to the North side of the stereotype, which I end up doing in spite of myself in sheer exasperation), a few weeks of all this and already every time I see an St. Georges Cross I feel like punching somebody.

I wouldn't worry people. I think we can see from the T&T game that England are going nowhere fast.

I am more than content to soak up the hype, safe in the knowledge that there is no way they are going to progress far in this tournament.

I wouldn't worry people. I think we can see from the T&T game that England are going nowhere fast.

I am more than content to soak up the hype, safe in the knowledge that there is no way they are going to progress far in this tournament.

They are far from alone in struggling for form. Brazil weren't amazing against Croatia (though admittedly much better than England), Germany have yet to convince - particularly defensively, Italy were a bit fortunate against Ghana etc.

The games between the big sides in the latter stages can almost go to the toss of a coin - look at England's exits from Euro 96 (penalties to Germany), World Cup 98 (penalties to Argentina), World Cup 02 (narrow defeat to Brazil), Euro 04 (penalties to Portugal) - on the one hand this suggests they bottle it a lot, on the other the same thing happens time and again to teams like Italy and Spain. If Rooney's fitness improves over the course of the tournament, and they have enough tactical nous to use a holding midfielder against a bigger side, England will still run anyone close.

Just a thought...when did 'God Save the Queen' become the English national anthem?

ALL the home nations used to play 'The Queen' before international matches until Scotland decided it would be a good idea to play, first of all, 'Scotland the Brave' (of which very few know the words) and then eventually 'Flower of Scotland' (which is now past its 'use by date'). Wales obviously have always played their own. I believe Northern Ireland play 'God Save the Queen' before their matches. After criticism from some quarters for continuing to do so one of their political leaders said, "Northern Ireland is a part of the United Kingdom and the national anthem is a legitimate symbol of the country". I suppose the English could say the same. And to be honest, I wish it was played before Scottish matches as well. It's time solidify the Union.