Simon King's Shetland Diaries

Mattie

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ended up catching this last night on iPlayer. It was a surprisingly entertaining watch, I'm into nature programs but it was nice seeing it from a persons perspective, rather than just all about the animals. Still, that bit about having to kill the bird was a bit melodramatic.

I can't believe he went to The Lounge! It's like 10 foot from my front door! :lol:

Still, that bit about having to kill the bird was a bit melodramatic.

Glad I'm not the only one who found that aspect to be somewhat cringy :roll:

It wasn't the only bit which was somewhat over spun. The attempt to make the Noss activity some kind of "Can we manage this before darkness!" drama was really ridiculous, as was the whole wading/driving through water aspect.

Describing the Northmavine UHA as The Shetland UHA, rather than as a small rural UHA, seemed quite amateurish.

I thought it made us out to look like we live in run-down croft houses, with a lifestyle of the 1950's, using outside bogs having just discovered electricity, etc.

On day 1, of course, the pod of killer whales will pop by and why not enjoy some otter watching in the afternoon. Huh?

The photography was stunning but I did find him rather cringeworthy - a sort of cross between Play School presenting style with a deranged grin.

Well parden me for enjoying Simon King's slot at least it showed a more positive side to our lovely islands than the debarcle that is going on at the moment. It was an hour of relaxation at it's best :D

For those who are being negative, we can't please all the people all the time and some we can't please at all. Have recorded part 1 and will record the others as well, Nice to look back on later in the year. :roll:

For those who are being negative, we can't please all the people all the time and some we can't please at all.

True enough, but it seems to me that being professionally sloppy with respect to basic facts is likely to increase the numbers of people in the cringe category. The guy is presented as a star wildlife expert, so why is he stating that tirricks lay a single egg:

the terns lay a single egg...

I'm no birdie person but I know that is not true, they lay two or three, occasionally one. Making errors with the secondary material may be excusable, but to have such a basic error with the core wildlife material indicates to me sloppy production standards.

As for the artificial melodrama, just try listening to the programme while concentrating on the soundtrack. Quite funny.

The attempt to make the Noss activity some kind of "Can we manage this before darkness!" drama was really ridiculous, as was the whole wading/driving through water aspect.

Given that they were filming the Noss expedition and not just placing the cameras, I'd imagine daylight was indeed a priority, as it is with most film work. :wink:

The wading through the water aspect was not the only option open to them, they could have left the vehicle, walked over the links at the back of the beach, in a Force 8-10, and sought assistance door to door, etc etc. Walking the route is a basic requirement of any off-road venture. Filling his boots seemed a reasonable sacrifice for good off road practice and had they driven straight across immediately, the water depth and shingly slope would have been dodgy, not in a life or death manner, but in a "Oh sh**, the jeeps stuck, what a pain in the jacksie, how are we fgoing to get the little un home" sense.

Besides, it made for good viewing - we might be used to such weather, but we're the minority, mind. :wink: