Brae up helly aa

jasper33

M in M - I couldn't agree more - "da coming back o da sun" is a reason for everyone in Shetland to celebrate and ALL the UHAs/Fire Festivals are akin to that.

I'd say that the timing of the conversation could determine which UHA is being referred to.

F'rinstance if you asked a Bressay person on Valentine's Day if they planned to be in a squad at Up Helly Aa - without the clarification of it being the Bressay one - I presume they'd naturally assume you meant the Bressay one, since Lerwick would've been and gone.

And as for the unwarranted criticism of the Lerwick one...na, na bairns.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Groilick, the toon one is the only one not held on the 'helly' so would conclude not a genuine Up 'Helly' AA.

Windy, what da helly is do spikkin aboot - da Toon Up-Helly-Aa is year round - last year's Jarls squad have already handed over the responsibilty of being the front squad to next years squad and they are makkin the suits now. (an there's mony a non-Lerwegian amongst them). If doo thinks that the Tuesday procession is the start and finish o it then do definately lives on a con-CLOOD ;)

M in M - I couldn't agree more - "da coming back o da sun" is a reason for everyone in Shetland to celebrate and ALL the UHAs/Fire Festivals are akin to that.

I'd say that the timing of the conversation could determine which UHA is being referred to.

F'rinstance if you asked a Bressay person on Valentine's Day if they planned to be in a squad at Up Helly Aa - without the clarification of it being the Bressay one - I presume they'd naturally assume you meant the Bressay one, since Lerwick would've been and gone.

And as for the unwarranted criticism of the Lerwick one...na, na bairns.

Well said both o you.

Was the galley burnt with the excellent carved head still attached?

No, they change it for a simpler one before the burning.

The Uyeasound galley has an excellent carved head but is not burnt. A second galley is burnt instead.

In general I prefer to build and burn freshly each year rather than keeping a good quality vessel for daytime duty. I do, however, see why in some cases the latter approach is taken.

In the case of the Junior Lerwick galley things have totally changed concerning the fundamental purpose of her construction. For the first couple of decades she served as a very effective teaching exercise to pass on the boatbuilding skills associated with traditional clinker boats. This meant that the process of building was key, so each year the galley had to be built fully planked anew. As this can no longer be fitted into the modern school curiculum, there is now no real point in crafting a fully planked galley each year for the Junior festival. Makes sense I think.

With SMUHA we burnt everything except the day sail, nameplates and the steering oar.

• 5 months later...