Dipped Headlights

Kavi Ugl

Na, dey're been and gone ;)

I am heartened though by how many folk seem to have got the message over the past year or two.

I actually nearly got knocked down by a car 3 years ago.  It was a bitter cold, dark, windy morning and barely half light.

My eyes were filled wi tears wi the cold air and I was needing to cross the road.  I waited for the cars wi headlights on to pass then spanged across the road but "out of nowhere" came a car wi no lights on.

Thankfully, he saw me at the last minute but he had to brake very heavily.

After he'd gone past me he suddenly switched his headlights on.........

Part of the problem at this time of year is we've become accustomed to driving with no lights, it takes a while to sink in with some folk that no-one can actually see them.

It's the same when it starts to snow - all the numpties spin off the roads within the first couple of days of a decent covering and then everyone wakes up and pays attention after that.

But I still reckon the coppers are shadowing the Neo-Norski faction.......  :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I find it quite frustrating seeing so many cars in Shetland without car head lights on from twilight hours onwards. But even more so, the amount of  ( "one eyed monsters!) cars with only one headlight working!. I can only assume this is because there are so few police cars patrolling here to stop and give them a ticket and a fine? ( unlike aberdeen!) 

What also boils me is the drivers who don't use their light when is raining heavy!! 

Drivers are responsible for the condition and roadworthyness of their vehicles and the safety of other road users, sadly, it seems the reason for this is not because drivers care little for others, more that the authorities do not catch them.

Sometimes, education may be required, although there are a number of folk who read these posts, it may be worthy of some time to consider others and suggest at local Police meetings via the Community Council meetings, and also, get the Community Council to support this. It may also be prudent to contact the Highways folk as there have been campaigns in the past regarding lights and the aptly described "one eyed monster".

Video evidence can go along way when supporting a claim and request.

I find it quite frustrating seeing so many cars in Shetland without car head lights on from twilight hours onwards. But even more so, the amount of  ( "one eyed monsters!) cars with only one headlight working!. I can only assume this is because there are so few police cars patrolling here to stop and give them a ticket and a fine? ( unlike aberdeen!) 

What also boils me is the drivers who don't use their light when is raining heavy!! 

My theory on the one headlight problem is that during the summer you hardly ever use your headlights in Shetland so when the dark nights come in there are a number of people who haven't checked their lights for months.

Drivers are responsible for the condition and roadworthyness of their vehicles and the safety of other road users, sadly, it seems the reason for this is not because drivers care little for others, more that the authorities do not catch them.

Sometimes, education may be required, although there are a number of folk who read these posts, it may be worthy of some time to consider others and suggest at local Police meetings via the Community Council meetings, and also, get the Community Council to support this. It may also be prudent to contact the Highways folk as there have been campaigns in the past regarding lights and the aptly described "one eyed monster".

Video evidence can go along way when supporting a claim and request.

Send out a couple of squad cars for a couple of days on the busiest stretches of road to flag down and hand out tickets to as many "lights out" jobs as possible - in little more than 24 hours just about everybody will have heard about it on the jungle drums and there will have been a run on the sales of headlight bulbs - job done.

No point in wasting time and resources using the local equivalent of semaphore and carrier pigeons, when good old gossip will do the job in the blink of an eye with no effort.

Your theory will only affect those who are caught.

There has to be a sustained and combined campaign for this to work. Sadly, you are not right, it will not work alone, 2 days of policing. Folly to think it would.

Reports were that the Police were short of officers in Shetland (I do not know why officers would not want to transfer to Shetland?), if this is still the case then it would explain why, when you are out, you may not see so many of them.

Edited by shetlandpeat

Your theory will only affect those who are caught.

There has to be a sustained and combined campaign for this to work. Sadly, you are not right, it will not work alone, 2 days of policing. Folly to think it would.

Send out a couple of squad cars for a couple of days on the busiest stretches of road to flag down and hand out tickets to as many "lights out" jobs as possible - in little more than 24 hours just about everybody will have heard about it on the jungle drums and there will have been a run on the sales of headlight bulbs - job done.

No point in wasting time and resources using the local equivalent of semaphore and carrier pigeons, when good old gossip will do the job in the blink of an eye with no effort.

Peat, this is Shetland, this is an issue in Shetland, you are not in Shetland and your understanding and appreciation of the issue is severely restricted at best. Folk in Shetland know what will, or won't work in the Shetland situation, your experience and "wisdom" gleaned on the sidelines of the great highways and byeways of of northern Englandshire are about as relevant and helpful to the Shetland situation as the finer points of traversing the roads from hell in the mountains of Peru.

Reports were that the Police were short of officers in Shetland (I do not know why officers would not want to transfer to Shetland?), if this is still the case then it would explain why, when you are out, you may not see so many of them.

Do try and keep up, that's very, very old news. There were new bods that got here months ago, and more lining up to join them.

Edited by Ghostrider

There's a bulb out in my kitchen. My neighbour's are furious !! They are threatening to have a " squad " car sit outside my house and wait on me coming home. It's amazing what annoys people these days. Mind your own business and get a life,please. That is all I have to say on this trivial and very boring matter. ( now where do I keep my spare bulbs ?)