Dipped Headlights

Kavi Ugl

Thanks Carlos, I understand. I wasn't aware of evidence of greater accidents involving non car road users but I see why that could happen. There's no excuse for poor driving, but some of the conditions over the last week or so have been atrocious and those driving with no lights whatsoever must be living in a parallel universe (a couple behind me the other morning were anyway - tried lots of ways of attracting their attention to no avail). This morning driving through town before 9 there were dozens without lights, even though it was dark, murky and drizzly combined. Just because street lights are out doesn't mean car lights should be to.

Really bad place is Gelberwick end of Black Gaet with someone travelling north doing 70 mph (or more) and no lights - accident waiting to happen as its bad enought trying to judge distance/speed of oncoming traffic for pulling out without added uncertainty.

With my new car i have day time running lights which means they are on dipped all the time and i get people telling me all the time my lights are on, but i dont mind as its safer

Good to hear that, and if I was you I would make a point of telling those people that it's safer.

I remind them that at least they won't be able to say they couldn't see me when they hit into me.....

• 1 month later...

As someone who drives a dark vehicle around the town, I noticed that other vehicles seemed to notice me (especially at roundabouts) better when I had my headlights dipped. Pedestrians too.

Certainly driving out of town, in the twilight, I have seen some cars nearly blending into the hillside :?

I would be in favour of a winter dipped headlight law. I turn them on manually every time I start the engine. It's so much a habit, I hardly notice anymore.

Great to see a bit of support here :D

Sadly, I didna see the police clamping down on the dimwits who still persist in trying to blend in wi the darkness after Ian Selby's spot-on letter the other week in the ST.

A by-law is the only answer so perhaps it's something to focus on in the next council.

Yeh, enkelt skapninger, talking of the sun have folks noticed that when you're driving into the sun you can see a car coming towards you much better if it has the dipped headlights on?. Infact, sometimes it's all you can see of the car.

One thing that staggers me about Shetland is the amount of cars as a percentage that have only one working headlight, on a par with running with no lights. Do people never check to see why their lights appear so poor.

I was thinking exactly the same thing today on my way to work. You'd never get away with it anywhere else!

I agree with the essence of this thread but I do not agree with those who flash their lights to 'inform' that driver 'a' thinks driver 'b' should have their lights on/off/down. There's a lot of citing the Highway Code and reference to driving instructors - yet none of them would recommend flashing your lights at an oncoming driver. I know there's arguments for this (perhaps if lights are off in total darkness) but is there any point in venting your feelings with a short sharp dazzle?

Mine are automatic as well and I must say they often come on when I wouldn't have thought they were needed (a good thing) Let the onboard computer make the judgment :wink:

Only had my new car for a month Mine are automatic as well it seems to work well although you can set the sensors up or down

The wipers are automatic as well.

I agree with the essence of this thread but I do not agree with those who flash their lights to 'inform' that driver 'a' thinks driver 'b' should have their lights on/off/down. There's a lot of citing the Highway Code and reference to driving instructors - yet none of them would recommend flashing your lights at an oncoming driver. I know there's arguments for this (perhaps if lights are off in total darkness) but is there any point in venting your feelings with a short sharp dazzle?

Speaking as an ADI of ten years, if someone is driving with sidelights on in the dark and is genuinely difficult to see then a quick flash to alert them could be beneficial - after all, they may not realise they are running on just sidelights. Quick flash - not a'blinder' mind you.

Unfortunately, if it is misty then you are wasting your time with most of the numpties driving on sidelights. They'll be the ones driving too fast as well......

Guest CyprusPluto

I flash my lights to advise people they don't have their lights on. It's not an admonishment, simply a notification. I'm more than happy to receive such information in that way in return if I ever forget mine

I wouldn't want my lights on all the time. Imagine the amount of extra fuel used. I only get 18 to the gallon now :cry: It'd be cheaper to crash :D