Shetland: my dream move

bill r

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ Some peeps reckon the kennels on the ferries are okay, I reckon they are in the wrong place (on the noisy car deck). One of my dogs was fine on the journey coming over, the other hated it.

Well said, the kennels on Northlink are appalling. They are far too noisy for the dogs which of course have over sensitive hearing anyway, and even humans cannot hear themselves think or speak in the kennel room! Access is limited, and if you leave your dog in the car you are not allowed access at all.

Northlink do not cater for dogs properly, and I pity any dog or owner who has to use those kennels.

^^If ya lived in a crime-ridden area, then deffo no.

I live in Huddersfield does that say enough? :mrgreen:

And I mean I can understand the thought behind it but I guess a lot of people here were lucky. But what about all those who moved to Shetland and realised it was NOT their dream come true? I'm sure there must be plenty who probably don't post here.

I've lived in France, Germany, Austria and now England. And certainly everything turned out very different from what I imagined. Just because there are some things you don't realise. (Different isn't always bad btw.)

So, as much as I am a friend of the "if I want to do something I just do" mentality. Visiting a place before moving there seems like a pretty good idea to me. Especially when that place has 9 months long winters and is only reachable by expensive plane fares or a 14hr boat journey.

Well Bill at 56 I upped stakes and just moved here and it is the best thing I have done in yrs

I have made the most wonderfull friends and dont mind the winters at all and btw they are not 9 months long..I think it,s fair to say that we had better summers here the last couple of yrs than they did down south..

If you have an adventurous spirit go for it...This island is beautifull and the winter has itms own special attraction ..Have a look at Longdogs blog and it says it all....

As for the kennels on the ferry I know they are not the best in but my two Westies survived the sail in them with no adverse effects...

I wish you well in your adventure