Tunnels

Holm O Sanik

Which isle should get a tunnel first?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which isle should get a tunnel first?

• Bressay
    • Yell
    • Unst
    • Whalsay

Guest Anonymous
Yeah and no tolls, but then Norway is now the third richest country in the world. Mind, that was not aye the case. Rural Norway was as poor as rural Shetland, Orkney or Scotland. Huge numbers of Norwegians emigrated to U.S.

Only forty years ago, King Olav travelled by public transport, and that was trams!

Norway has no handed over the proceeds of thier oil wealth to the already obscenely rich , they have done right by thier ordinary folk by means of infrastructure etc , uk did the first option, oh, and had a couple of wars too , think i would rather had a few tunnels

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but you are all wrong (ducks rapidly). I'm sure Ghostrider will agree that the first tunnel should be within Shetland (or under the sea alongside it), preferably housing the electricity cable from the power station to Virkie. :wink:

Surely da first tunnel should geng inta Papa – it is da island dat da council spends (wastes) the highest amount per head o population o ony island (aless maybe Foula). Even da Water Board ir just spent £1 million layin in water tae just 12 folk

I'm sorry, but you are all wrong (ducks rapidly). I'm sure Ghostrider will agree that the first tunnel should be within Shetland (or under the sea alongside it), preferably housing the electricity cable from the power station to Virkie. :wink:

Perfect idea, the number of power failures and "blips" round here is absurd. Put the roads in it too, sliding around on ice more often than not for two months has gotten to be very tiresome.

• 3 weeks later...
It was reported on the SN Website, that 5 Councillors and 2 Senior Officials from the SIC have spent a day and a half in a room with 3 Norwegian Tunnel Experts and a UK Tunnel Consultant, Andy Sloan.

The mind boggles :wink:

Depending on those Councillors present, perhaps the Norwegian Tunnel Experts were advising that even they couldn't come up with a solution on how the Councillors could dig themselves out of the amount of poo had found themselves in recently. :wink:

It was reported on the SN Website, that 5 Councillors and 2 Senior Officials from the SIC have spent a day and a half in a room with 3 Norwegian Tunnel Experts and a UK Tunnel Consultant, Andy Sloan.

The mind boggles :wink:

That's a good thing though the Norwegians are the experts on tunnelling. If the SIC is seriously considering a Whalsay tunnel I'd hope they were speaking to experts.