Lifestyle change required - all info welcome!

Northernjourney

Hello, this is my first post!

I am looking to relocate to Shetland and I wonder if the people here could offer any advice and maybe some information.

1) How much of a problem is it living on the smaller islands like Fetlar or the Out Skerries?

2) There is a house called 'The Glebe' for sale on Fetlar - it seems too cheap to be true... is it haunted?

all comments / info welcome...

Wow another relocater. :mrgreen:

I'm not from Shetland nor do I intend to relocate but a user here called Longdog just moved to Shetland, here is the link to his blog: http://moder-dye.blogspot.com/

Otherwise I would recommend going here and introducing yourself first. There is also another thread from someone who wishes to relocate.

Otherwise I recommend a read through the forum as there are lots of useful advice and comments on housing and the issues of living in the remoter parts of the islands.

Apart from that: Welcome and have fun!

Guest Anonymous
Hello, this is my first post!

I am looking to relocate to Shetland and I wonder if the people here could offer any advice and maybe some information.

1) How much of a problem is it living on the smaller islands like Fetlar or the Out Skerries?

2) There is a house called 'The Glebe' for sale on Fetlar - it seems too cheap to be true... is it haunted?

all comments / info welcome...

shouldnt think its haunted no , basic probably but not haunted......... It would depend how you "blend in" i should think , but its a case of "suck it n see" wherever you go

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that mention Sha :D Not that my blog is just about Shetland but

We only moved here about 3 months ago and are loving it and have been made to feel very welcome.

I wouldn't go for any of the more remote places if I had kids or needed to travel to work. But otherwise I 'd love to live somewhere more remote.

Reckon the house is so cheap just due to location and probably it's ripe for renovation in comparison to most modern houses. But I'm sure there are many other people who would be qualified to advise you.

I'm hopefull of for my first visit to Unst tomorrow 8)

All the best in you hut/move anyway

Kev

Hi, welcome to Shetlink.

Living remotely is no different to living anywhere else other than the ability and willingness to plan ahead and accept what remoteness really means.

I guess it's just down to the way society has evolved, but so many people seem to want (need, in some cases, so they say) a daily trip to the shop for milk/bread/papers and to make regular visits to other establishments (doctor/dentist/post office/hairdresser/swimming pool/pub).

If you are quite happy that you can live for 2 weeks without needing *anything* you don't have, and won't bat an eyelid if you miss that dental appointment you've waited 6 months for due to the weather that day, then you'll be just fine :wink:

Hi,

We don't live on one of the smaller Islands but where we live is quite remote.

We originally came here 27 years ago, it was a snap decision, literally made overnight as we both needed work and there were a couple of good jobs going here. We packed the stuff we needed into an old van with our son and our dog and came.

It's a completely different way of life, laid back, not rushed. You soon get into the swing of it. My friends 'south' laugh at me when I go away as I don't know half of the shops now and everytime I go away more houses, more roads, I don't recognise the place I was born.

I love it here and sometimes I hate it here. The worst is being so far away should anything happen to family but the best is living this wonderful pollution free life, the wild life, the people and once you get used to the wind it's not so bad. :)

Who needs the daily papers and the hustle and bustle, not me. !

If you choose to live on fetlar then im sure you will be welcomed. as others say if you really want to be part of a remote community then join in and enjoy. i suggest if your serious go and visit. speak to people visit the shop and interprative centre. ive only been up there a few times and they are really friendly.