Changes in Shetland (what can you remember?)

CrunchieSquirrel

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going through da auld windey Gulberwick road to get to Lerwick ....

.. when was the new high road built?

I do remember for sure going behind, was it the post office and phonebox, in Quarff to get to Gulberwick!? :shock: Da twisty road now to get to Wester Quarff!

Going through da auld windey Gulberwick road to get to Lerwick ....

.. when was the new high road built?

I do remember for sure going behind, was it the post office and phonebox, in Quarff to get to Gulberwick!? :shock: Da twisty road now to get to Wester Quarff!

Late 70's. A most diabolical time to be a regular traveller on the sooth end buses, there was either single file traffic, temporary ramps and hardcore sections, or just general chaos and mayhem somewhere between Cunningsburgh and the Sandy Loch permanently for years.

Another one was the laying of the concrete slabs on the street, that were taken up again a few years ago when flags were put down again. That was around the same time, more often than not it was just two men and an old MF 35 tractor slowly working their way from the Cross to the Fort. A half width street and everybody having to walk the plank to get by the missing bits. :lol:

Twerto - I mind that flying bump doon by the planti crub - unfortunately it was the scene of a fatal RTA in the 1970's so thankfully something was done to obliterate it.

Islesburgh was formally the Central School - I mind the mad dashes at piece times to either go to Bob's Sweetie Shop in St Olaf Street, Nick Carters, (where the Golden Coach was on the hillhead - a true emporium for a youngster) or across for a warm "Whale" from Mitchell Georgesons bakery at the end of the hillhead. Boy were they filling (with the pink icing dripping aff them as we made back to class.

Can onybody mind the "Black's Water Biscuit" and does onybody have the proper recipe to recreate them because every bakery in Shetland that makes "big biscuits" come nowhere near getting them the same? There must be a baker out there somewhere that knows the secret.