Changes in Shetland (what can you remember?)

CrunchieSquirrel

When we got a bathroom wi inside toilet. Thought it wis so posh but boy it felt disgustin "doin dat" inside da hoose as a peerie boy. I still fin it a bit strange whin I think aboot it TBH!

Aabody tarrin dir rúf's in da simmir, da smell o Evode waftin in da warm air..

I hed a great fondness fur hentin tatties an takin hom paets too, always big social affairs wi crackin spree's at night.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never mind Islesburgh - what about when it was a school? I was there for both

The open air swimming pool in Scalloway.

I spent most of my school summer holidays in that pool

And there was the fun games there on regatta days

Biking across the pool

And some who had to have a life jacket and rope fixed on before trying to run down the pole and jumping for the half bottle

O! what was Health and safety?

Guest Anonymous

You could climb up da tower at 'Mossy Hill' and see da lent o Shetland, literally. Damn... never ever took a camera up daer!

Never been to the top of the Mossy Hill tower, but you can see a lot of Shetland from the Ward of Bressay:

http://shetlopedia.com/images/4/46/Shetland_From_Ward_Of_Bressay.JPG

or from Fitful:

http://shetlopedia.com/images/c/cf/PicDunrossness_Pano_2.jpg

Click on the pics to zoom, then pan.

:D

Gawd, so many memories - here's my twartree.

No Sandveien, Nederdale and aa dat ootbye the Ayre of Clickimin. There were houses but not many and a walk to the Broch was nearly a walk in the country.

The Overland bus taking an hour and a half to reach Toft with the best bit of road being along the Dales Lees, the two buses through Yell and the peerie ferries, oh and spewing on the Earl in to those lovely red spew boxes.

The milk at Bells Brae school in those plastic blue, pink and yellow tumblers.

No Church road and the graveyard next to the Masons.

Old money - mind getting 2 shillings pocket money (10p, bairns) and buying a 6d back of chips from the window at the Cross.

I don't remember a drinking fountain at the Cross but there was the Diana fountain on the pier, though not where it is now.

But who remembers the tourist map at the end of building where the chip shop was (later the baked tattie shop), where you could press buttons and places of interest would light up.

Aah, memories

But who remembers the tourist map at the end of building where the chip shop was (later the baked tattie shop), where you could press buttons and places of interest would light up.

I do just mind it, but had no idea where it was. It widna wirk the one time I mind trying it. A bit of a downer when you wir just a peerie een. :cry:

The milk at Bells Brae school in those plastic blue, pink and yellow tumblers.

No Church road and the graveyard next to the Masons.

And the milk in the tumblers was always horrible and loogit (lukewarm). Our teacher made the girls use pink tumblers and the boys use blue. You got yellow if there wasn't enough of 'your' colour left...

I mind them knocking the house down next to Slottis to make Church Road and being fascinated by seeing half a house inside - but outside. I have vague recollections of something to do with a toilet or a bathroom which made it funnier as a small child, but I might be mixing that up with something else.

How about going swimming to the dinghy in the summer? Or the swimming galas held in the small boat harbour? I used to love watching the greasy pole.

My only sporting claim to fame was winning thruppence for coming second in a running race at the Cunningsburgh Show. It was the highlight of the summer as far as I was concerned.

I don't remember a drinking fountain at the Cross but there was the Diana fountain on the pier, though not where it is now.

Sorry I must have had a brain malfunction :oops:

I gone through 167 photos of the Cross over the last 100 years and alas no sign of a fountain.

During the blasting at Shurton there was also a family that experienced a 25kg+ rock entering their house through the roof - caused a bit of a stooshie at the time. Too much gelignite was the root cause.

Tods (Harry's) had the street speed limit sign up for years.

Did you know that the first person killed by a motor vehicle in Shetland (what we call an RTA nowadays) was a young 4-5 year old boy walking along commercial street in Lerwick. He was run over (crushed) by a van/truck at that awkward twist at Stove & Smiths (the Hydro Electric Shop today). It was back in the 1940's I think. No high speed involved.

The Toft and Firth Camps and the free for all day when they opened Toft up to clear it of its contents after it shut.

Milk in bags (why?) and the plastic orange jugs you could get to put them in.

The legendary But & Ben in Yell.

The busloads of furry-hooded-parka clad workers that plyed their way to and from the terminal when it was in its heyday.

Stove & Smith, Bells Brae Stores, Petes, Fraser & Ironside, Regal Stores and 'da supersave' at Grantfield. And does anybody else mind 'Charlies' that briefly existed as a record / sweetie shop in a converted garage near the King Harald Street end of Harbour Street?

The seemingly giant cafeteria upstairs in Wilsness in the days when it was frequently stowed out with offshore workers.

Sunday trips to Unst and having dennir at the Hagdale Lodge.

The faint smell of coal reek that seemed to envelop some of the older residential parts of Lerwick.

Can anyone remember when Lochside stores was called The Igloo?

No :? .. what year were you thinking this was?

Ally - yes

tlady - 80's?

Thanks.. thought I was loosing it there - several friends have denied it's existence and it's become something of a running joke.

Does anyone mind the big wall display in the auld museum that showed all the oil rigs. You could press buttons and the various pipelines etc would light up... Iused to think this was amazing. Clearly I was quite easily amused as a child :)