Great Performances

ArabiaTerra

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Reading the Youtube comments you'd think these guys were better than the best thing since sliced bread.

Am I missing something, or are they pretty ordinary - once you see past the flashing lights, short dress, posturing and OAP dance-fest at the end.

I'd appreciate comments from real musicians as I just can't see that they're anything special.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This years Fiery Sessions concert at the Garrison was, as usual, full of highly talented performances. In previous years the acts have generally been from the folk genre. This year this was mostly the case, but in addition Norman and the Folding Deckchairs made an interesting, welcome, and I believe, very popular enhancement to the lineup.

I was particularly impressed by their rendition of Horace Silver's Song for my father. Indeed I think it rated as one of the best pieces of music I've witnessed on the Garrison stage. I had a look on YouTube to see if they had uploaded a version yet. No luck, but I did encounter the following version by Stanley Jordan. Playing piano and guitar simultaneously I think it must surely be considered a great performance. Pity it is cut off just as it gets going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNAD65EhsNU