Computer through the TV - Help!!

Seahorse

Thanks all,

had me bridder look at the computer and apparently I have a built in graphics card which canna handle this type of set up. I will have to look into this again.

Another thought:

Some recordable digi boxes have a USB port ie the BT vision box. I might have to load movies onto a stick and (heaven forbid) walk through to the sitting room with it!!!!

Thanks for all the posts and links, I think I understood about 60% of it, like i say, I'm a bit of a technophobe!

Hi,

If you're looking for an easy to use DLNA server, give Mezzmo a try (http://www.mezzmo.com) - it's got all the features of a good multimedia organiser as well as a proper DLNA/UPnP server (including transcoding which converts your files that cannot be played on your TV directly to a format that the TV will understand).

I work for Conceiva, the company that makes Mezzmo and I'll be happy to answer any questions about it.

Thanks all,

had me bridder look at the computer and apparently I have a built in graphics card which canna handle this type of set up. I will have to look into this again.

Another thought:

Some recordable digi boxes have a USB port ie the BT vision box. I might have to load movies onto a stick and (heaven forbid) walk through to the sitting room with it!!!!

Thanks for all the posts and links, I think I understood about 60% of it, like i say, I'm a bit of a technophobe!

Looking back to your first post - how important is the ability just to use the TV as a monitor for normal PC use (as opposed to playing movies etc)?

Any TV with a VGA input will do this (they cost as little as £100 now for a 17" - basically its a monitor with a freeview box bolted on!) - and your graphics card doesn't matter, it will just display to the best resolution your card supports.

If, on the other hand, you want to watch movies etc, a computer really isn't the best option anymore. Sumvision do a cracking little thing, the Cyclone Mini - £24 there on ebuyer, which will play all the common formats right up to HD from a USB pen or SD card.

For a bit more cash, from £60-£120, you can move on to a media playing External Hard drive with or without wired/wireless networking capability. Almost all modern DVD players also support DIVX playback now even if its not specified, and many also have a USB/SD card option and HDMI upscaling. (This One for example.)

All these options are much cheaper and simpler than setting up a dedicated PC, and since you are buying a new TV it may work out even cheaper just to pay a little extra for one with an SD/USB slot or networking capability built in.

I work for Conceiva, the company that makes Mezzmo and I'll be happy to answer any questions about it.

Is there a freeware version?

Unfortunately no, but there is a fully-functional free 15 day trial during which you could see if it suits you or not.