Council budget cuts

sheltie87

a lot of cash could be saved if the SIC stopped paying 2 or 3 times for the same shift.

Contracted person due to work shift then goes off sick

relief person agrees to cover shift

relief person is then sick before shift

another relief person then works shift

Guess how many persons are paid for covering the shift ....?!?!?

Absolutely crazy to pay them all ......

:roll: :oops: :roll:

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All temporary staff by law (I think) have to get holiday pay. I know I blooming well did when I did temporary work when the law changed. Check out the ACAS website.

Edit: And when I worked in HR (temping) for a PCT, all bank staff there got pro rata holiday pay.

• 2 weeks later...

Today SIC had the opportunity to save a further £27,000. This was the budget that is used for the Flavour of Shetland event which will not be taking place this year. Rather than save it they gave it to Promote Shetland.

Personally I don't think Promote Shetland should be treated as a special case. They like everyone else should find new innovative ways to make the most of what they already have in their near £500,000 budget.

SIC Councillors are sending out very mixed messages.

Was that money not from previous budgets before the cuts were announced.

It depends where the cash comes from. Your council taxes no where near make the full budget. If cash has come to pay for lets say youth development, then that is what it has to be spent on, or given back to the treasury, for instance. You cannot always just move cash around, especially if it came from a particular fund as part of the whole cash payment from GOV. It would be fraud if it were used incorrectly and surcharges would be levied.

Was that money not from previous budgets before the cuts were announced.

It depends where the cash comes from. Your council taxes no where near make the full budget. If cash has come to pay for lets say youth development, then that is what it has to be spent on, or given back to the treasury, for instance. You cannot always just move cash around, especially if it came from a particular fund as part of the whole cash payment from GOV. It would be fraud if it were used incorrectly and surcharges would be levied.

NOT necessarily true SP. I remember all too well in LB Newham them spending something like a mere £72 million on education when they had received something like £84 million of said Government dosh and spent the money on a different budget. The following year, the Government slashed it to around £73 million. The teachers went on strike pleading there had been a huge cut. Now I know that monies spent on housing have to come out of the housing budget and be raised from housing, but wasn't aware of others.

It was an example to show why the money may not have been able to go elsewhere. Not a definitive reason, oops should have made that clear, sorry.

The money local GOV gets to provide Adult education has to be spent on that. There are many different programs within the remit of adult education. If it is not then the funding could be withdrawn.

And the funds should be set accordingly, moving the raised cash around has to be done with agreement and generally Cabinet has to approve.

Your example shows that the council there could operate and deliver the service for less than they were given, hence the reduction, perhaps.

Central GOV will give funding for specifics to bolster up National programs.

There are other monies, the reason why so many councils are returning a 0% rise in council tax is because the GOV has told them they will get 2.5% top up, year on year for 3 years. Then it will stop. Personally I think that is a political move by GOV so as to claim that when they were in power council tax was not increased. I would rather pay an extra 5% and see some of the acute services stay funded. We gonna need them more as time goes on I think.

But I have not found out if that cash can be spent at the local Govs wish or would be used only to support national incentives, like giving grants to the voluntary we have been told our quality of life will now depend.

In Blackburn, public buildings have been handed over to the community. Good you may say, though the community need to be trained on the aspects of opening and running a public building. Trouble is though, it is hard to get volunteers to keep the buildings open for the hours they were open.

The ways the local GOVs work should be a lesson in our schools, I wish it was shown to me, instead I had to do it the hard way.

Well done the SIC , you should be SO proud of yourselves , schools closing , fares going up , cuts in services left right and centre....but not above of course ! and you dole out 1.25 million like sweety money......bunch o bloody idiots. :twisted: :evil:

But not for Councillor :!:

Councillors in Scotland should receive a pay rise to reflect their workloads, government advisors have recommended

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12700009

Hard work my ass

They should get the minimum wage and no more

In fact they should pay to get the job.

• 1 month later...

The budget cuts might not need to be so deep going by what is written in the Shetland Times this week. SIC is to get an annual rental income of 100,00 pounds until 2014 from Total and then 550,000 after that.

Also, levies on the amount of gas coming into the plant. I wonder what kind of money you are talking about here?

Things are maybe looking up.