Independence for Shetland!

Jonners

Where do you stand?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand?

• Full independence
    • Crown dependency
    • Keep the status quo

If that's true how can getting back 75% of what you put in be a good deal?

WTF are we in the EU for anyway?

Well it's really a flawed way of looking at it. Much of the money that comes back is in direct grants to various projects etc. So administration costs and so on are paid outwith the UK, and therefore appear to be 'lost' monies: part of the missing 25%. But if we were outside the EU, the administration costs be paid by the UK, and to be honest I'm not sure if this country is any more efficient in terms of beurocratic excess.

This is not really the thread for EU discussion, but I think there are a great many reasons for being in the EU: not least because it has (so far) helped to stop us killing each other, which Europeans were in the habit of doing previously. There are also obvious trade and travel benefits. That's not to say there's nothing wrong with it, and that there isn't plenty could be improved (or that we shouldn't seek more autonomy in certain areas) but the idea of the EU is, as far as I'm concerned, a good one. I'm also quite happy for some of our money to be going to, say, Eastern Europe, to help improve economies there, just as I'm happy for some of my taxes to be going to help folk less fortunate than me.

only stopped us killing each other so far, a situation that will only last so long when folks start getting pissed off with all the corruption and unfair advantages some countries have over others.

It (the EU) is a poorly thought out abomination, take for example letting all these countries in eastern Europe join and immediatley they let all the folks over there move over here without any restrictions, while at the same time taking money from over here to build up the infrastructure and economies over there but all the joiners brickies plumbers doctors dentists, basically any one over there with any kind of skill has moved over here so there is nobody left over there to build the place up, bloody genious them EU beurocrats :roll:

It (the EU) is a poorly thought out abomination, take for example letting all these countries in eastern Europe join and immediatley they let all the folks over there move over here without any restrictions...

That was actually up to the member states. Some did implement transitional restrcitions (until economic conditions even out more IIRC). The UK chose not to. Take it up with Westminster.

Is Sheepshagger not allowed to post his thoughts. What about free speech. I don't agree with the post but what a place this would be if we all thought the same. Take it we can call for the return of all shelties to come home from working abroad

I've no problem with folk coming here to work but look at it this way if we have jobs that we can't fill, so have to import workers why the hell are we paying dole to folk that can't find work?

And mallachy call me racist one more time and I may feel the need to discuss this with you in person, just like that nice man from the smiths I may even feel the need to take a course of action in the courts

And mallachy call me racist one more time and I may feel the need to discuss this with you in person, just like that nice man from the smiths I may even feel the need to take a course of action in the courts

I'm not quite sure what the last bit of this means, but I've no desire to be threatened for expressing my views, so that's the end of my contributions to this thread. I guess this is why folk use pseudonyms then.

I'm not sure what it means either but i do know that any threatening behaviour is forbidden under the forum T&C's.

I can't see the word racist used anywhere anyway. I think you'll just have to agree to disagree.

If a threat is upheld action will be taken.

Any valid point made and followed by defamation or threats is lost. The same applies to all of us.

And to address the point in question, i think Trønder correctly identifies that policy is set by member states. It is the UK that has created the current situation. Some immigrant workers have become an asset, some have not. I know of one local firm who have employed several out of sheer lack of interest from locals. The latest speaks no English at all, or so little as to be unable to function without interpreting associates. If there was a safety issue the end result could be dire and yet he is doing a skilled job that no local wanted/was qualified for. There's no right or wrong definitive answer, i don't think.

I've heard the same from another firm with unskilled staff. It's not easy for the local co-workers, but the job is getting done. People from elsewhere in the UK could have filled the posts, the Eastern block workers showed more interest and got there first. Is there a fault there?

If Shetland was independent those posts would still be required to be filled from somewhere. Unless a local policy of forcing unsuitable people into jobs was implemented then the jobs would not get done. Is a bad employee better than no employee? What would you do when an ex-dole person forced into the job refused to show up for work?

xenephobic is just a posh word for racist

and offering to discuss someting in person is hardly a threat offering to punch his lights out would be a threat but I can't see that I posted that anywhere, why choose to be threatened by free speech unless your own opinions can't stand up to close scrutiny

It was the tone in which you said it SS, and if you would like to complete your 'invitation' you could pm Malachy courteously under your real name to ensure a level playing field. :wink:

Xenophobia and racism are similar i'll grant you, though not entirely the same. Heated comments come across badly and though lively at times the forum is not intended to 'get personal'. We're all here to 'Share resources and communicate ideas" after all.

:wink:

Independence would not solve labour shortages and the need for 'immigrant' workers of any description.

Independance would ensure that we dont have an open door policy for any TDorH that wishes to set up shop here, as it is we can't refuse entry to criminals, drug dealers child molestors etc, in fact as it stands the social work departments of the UK have been known to relocate pedo's to Shetland as a safe haven for the boobalubes. The scousers caught recently traveling here with smack would not be so keen if they knew in advance that customs would be waiting to check everybody coming of the boat or the plane.

I have stated before and will do so again just to make it clear I have nothing against anyone who is willing to make a positive contribution no matter where they are from, parasites on the other hand should be erradicated no matter if they are from Timbuktoo or Trondra.

I don't like supporting lazy good for nothings that are local so why should I happily accept lazy good for nothings from elsewhere.

This is neither xenephobic or racist (not even slightly Nazi) but that seems to be the easy tag to give me by wishy washy liberals that are quite happy to spend my tax money paying their dole cheques.

Ach, don't worry about Sheepshagger. He pops up every couple of months, annoys everyone then gets roundly slagged off and slinks back into his cave for a while. Just think of him as an average SUN reader and you won't go wrong. :lol: :wink:

Edit: It's not as if anyone actually takes him seriously after all.