Independence for Shetland!

Jonners

Where do you stand?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand?

• Full independence
    • Crown dependency
    • Keep the status quo

Just think of him as an average SUN reader and you won't go wrong.

And as a consequence is probably just saying what the majority of people are only quietly thinking.

I think this clamour for more self rule comes down to the fact that people have lost faith in the old fashioned political structures. How can we expect politicians in Brussels, London and Edinburgh to make good decisions that will benefit places like Shetland when they're priority is to keep the urban conurbations ticking along and big business happy. Take fishing as the example. It's a miracle a fleet still exists considering the government doesn't really give a t*ss about it. Fishing is not - and never will be - a priority of a national government, whereas hereabouts it's hugely important. If we could run things on a more localised level an industry like fishing would get the political backing it deserves.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with sheep shagger, why should we put up with those who dont contribute something useful to society.

Shetland should have the powers to "evict" or prevent entry to those less desirable people.

Shetland is a lovely place to grow up, safe and friendly, I know I did it. Lets keep it that way. It really doesnt matter where you come from; its what you do when your there.

This is neither xenephobic or racist (not even slightly Nazi) but that seems to be the easy tag to give me by wishy washy liberals that are quite happy to spend my tax money paying their dole cheques.

Sure, and you saying that is just an easy way to avoid any criticisms. How about we assign you the tag of 'irrational', as I explain below:

Shetland should have the powers to "evict" or prevent entry to those less desirable people.

Evict huh. Where to? We see complaints in this thread about how, as SS alleges, pedophiles and criminals are sent up here, and how this is a terrible thing. But by 'evicting' the alleged 'bad' people from Shetland, you're doing exactly what you hate; exporting your problems elsewhere. I don't think that you can evict 'nasty' Shetlanders to 'somewhere else' unless you're willing to accept a return, otherwise its hypocritical situation.

I don't think that you can evict 'nasty' Shetlanders to 'somewhere else' unless you're willing to accept a return, otherwise its hypocritical situation.

No one is advocating evicting Shetlanders for being undesirable (although it is a tempting thought) only preventing undesirables coming here from somewhere else, or having the choice to kick them out if they prove to be trouble while they enjoy our hospitality.

He pops up every couple of months, annoys everyone then gets roundly slagged off and slinks back into his cave for a while. Just think of him as an average SUN reader and you won't go wrong.

told you before AT never get past page 3 of the sun, I must be one of those hetrosexual trogladytes you seem to have an aversion to.

xenephobic is just a posh word for racist

Wrong.

Xenophobia is a general fear of strangers. A white xenophobe could be scared of white people. A male xenophobe could be afraid of woman.

Xenophobia is somewhat similar to racism, but it really means something different.

Why would you think I'm afraid of foriegners JAS? I picked a bloody strange career choice if you'r right, or maybe I'm just facing my fears.

I've said before and I'll say it again I couldn't give a turd where someone is from only what they are like when they get here, if they are here to be a parasite only to take what they can then why should we happily accept them. If they have a positive contribution to make to our society or economy then they are welcomed with open arms, and long may this continue. But if we are forced to accept scum and told we have no say in who moves here, then I'm afraid to be the one to break the news to you but it will only lead to resentment of any incomers by the local population and Shetland will lose something prescious that will be very hard to recover.

If they have a positive contribution to make to our society or economy

What do you consider a positive contribution to society or economy to be? (Wonders if the work she's done for the last nine years since she's been in Shetland and the children she's had counts or should she just pack her suitcase and find a new pasture.)

(edited for grammar)

If they have a positive contribution to make to our society or economy then they are welcomed with open arms, and long may this continue.

...but dare they falter! (and how long [or how many generations] is the probationary period before you become a thoroughbred and are allowed to apply for a Shetland passport?)

I see that an independence referendum is being planned in Scotland. How would the people in Shetland react to that?

If Scotland goes for independence, either Shetland stays with England, or goes for it's own independence too, or I'm out of here.

What little good ever came Shetland's way from goverments has always come from London, Edinburgh never did us one iota of good, and I've seen nothing from this current incarnation of Scots rulers that anything has changed since 1468.

Well said Ghostrider.

god help us all if Scotland get the opportunity to break away, Britain will be worse off generally, but Shetland will probably be back to the days before oil was descovereed and the Highlands and Islands Development Board thought it was the Western Isles and never semed to know that the UK had Northern Isles too.

khitajrah; working and having bairns in Shetland for 9 years counts as being very positive in my book.

Medziotojas; sorry, your flying the wrong flag to get a Shetland Passport son!