Independence for Shetland!

Jonners

Where do you stand?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand?

• Full independence
    • Crown dependency
    • Keep the status quo

mercy mercy I'm been caad a nazi, tell me whit wye ir da pair o fools so scared o Shetland haen mare say in runnin its ain affairs.

dirs no enoch talent up here digitaldildo claims in wan post dan, gaens on ta say dirs plenty o talent here when its explained why folk we talent laeve.

hardly enoch brains ta present a coherent argument.

derek du's still no answered da question whit wye ony o wis are supposed ta trust da snp whin dae hiv been caught telling blatant lies aboot da St Ninnians treasure.

resort tae a slangin match if du wants it only proves dirs nae validity ta da point du's pittin accross

Na, you started the slangin match, got the opportunity to retract yr twattish remarks but chose to repeat them in red ink.

Then you alleged that Shetlanders had left the UK because there was not the opportunity for them to express their talents which is a ludicrous idea that I have never heard onybody else express.

Dagfin made the reasonable but different point that Shetlanders might return to work in Shetland if there were more jobs resulting from independance/autonomy , to which I agreed.

By the way, de deckies might have been better tellin de "never trust a moron", but that wid hiv required some self reflection.

Might I just interject momentarily to remind people that swearing and insults are not going to serve the debate very well. I would appreciate if folks retain more than a modicum of decorum and thus avoid further off-topic posts by moderationally aligned entities.

Thank you for your cooperation. ;)

It is my impression that there is at present a "nation building" process going on in Scotland. An emphasis on internal consolidation, scottishness and so on. It is also my impression that it centers first and foremost on celticism and norse heritage might be seen as inconvenient in this process.

I should have used a less assertive word, suspicion perhaps.

My basis i very flimsy. Just that the "peculiarities" of Shetland and Orkney seem to be very seldom taken into account or mentioned while "peculiarities" based on more mainstream scottishness or celtishness are. Things similar to this example:

Why is there a full Gaelic BBC program for a minority of some 1.5% of all Scottish people and just a daily half an hour in Shetlan, Orcadian or other Scots dialects??? ... and that's just the tiop of an iceberg ... ;-)

I can see the sense and logic in that though it differs in principal from migration because of the economic conditions, unless you mean the specific economic conditions of an admin job being created that wasn't there before.

In your view, could Faroe be prosperous without support from Denmark? given that the Faroe fishing industry is (I believe) relatively more important than Shetland's.?

At the moment, in 2007 Faroe might be able to do without support from Denmark, but in 1997 we could definately not, and in 2017 we might not do without support from Denmark either. The Faroese economy is totally dependent on the fishing industry (at least 95% of all export) which makes it very vulnerable; and which is also why I prefer being a part of a bigger nation, yet being able to make decisions about our own internal affairs ourselves at the same time, as in the Home Rule status.

I couldn't gie a toss what you think about that, but I certainly did take offence at your Scoty remark. Incidentally, if you don't hae a drop o "Scoty" blood in your veins your the only man in Shetland that doesn't. But you seem mair like a trow right enough.

I don´t think it´s a good idea to turn this topic into a racial issue; sure we´re all a mixture of everything. Recent DNA Research shows excatly what the Sagas have suggested earlier, that Faroe islanders genetically are probably just as much gaelic/celtic as scandinavian. This because the norsemen brought gaelic wives and slaves to the islands with them: http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v14/n4/full/5201578a.html

Indeed the first â€norse†settler in Faroe mentioned in the sagas, was called "Grimr Camban", the name itself indicating a mixed norse/gaelic origin.

But I can´t see why race and ethnicity should have anything to do with the topic "island people taking care of their own businesses or not". It´s about the people living on the islands here and now, no matter what ethnic origin.

tarring Shetlanders wi the sam brush that we normally reserve for the "arrogant and superior" SE of England

I have given valid reasons why I don't trust the Scots ability to run Shetlands affairs, you are the one who took the statement as a personal insult and you are the one that called me a Nazi and a racist, yet as your comment above shows you are not above being a racist yourself.

It seems from your argument that it is OK to be a Scottish (love thy neighbour) nationalist but not a Shetland (racist) nationalist. forgive me if I find your reasoning confusing.

I stated that I know of a hell of a lot of very talented Shetlanders who have left because they can not find an outlet for their talents in Shetland this was backed up by Dagfinn who tells of a similar situation in Faroe, you only seem to have read the second part of his statement about them returning when that opportunities were given to them with home rule.

Pretty much what I said about Shetland.

I guess we will never agree because you are too blinded by your own particular form of racism to accept a reasonable discussion

No, we won't agree because you don't seem to see that "never trust a Scoty" - in other wirds, you couldna very well trust me very far, and half my family not at all - when you ken neither - is is both ridiculous and offensive.

I won't say "never trust an Englishmen" because I know that's just daft and some are excellent folk.

Enough said.

"I know of a hell of a lot of very talented Shetlanders who have left because they can not find an outlet for their talents in Shetland this was backed up by Dagfinn who tells of a similar situation in Faroe, you only seem to have read the second part of his statement about them returning when that opportunities were given to them with home rule."

No you said that they had to go overseas (not the UK) which is what I disputed. They could surely find the opportunities within the UK that they can't find in SHetland without home rule.

On another point, I think Shetland, and for that matter Scotland and many parts of the UK are very ill served by the powers that be regarding economic conditions like interest rates and policies such as the CFP. As such, Britain is run very much to suit the city and the South East.

Dagfin wrote:

I don´t think it´s a good idea to turn this topic into a racial issue; sure we´re all a mixture of everything. Recent DNA Research shows excatly what the Sagas have suggested earlier, that Faroe islanders genetically are probably just as much gaelic/celtic as scandinavian. This because the norsemen brought gaelic wives and slaves to the islands with them: http://www.nature.com/ejhg/jou.....1578a.html

Indeed the first â€norse†settler in Faroe mentioned in the sagas, was called "Grimr Camban", the name itself indicating a mixed norse/gaelic origin.

Here, here, I endorse that.

I never said they had to go abroad but they certainly chose to go abroad and not stay in the UK. and if you cant understand where I'm coming from then you are not reading the full posts. I despair at the thought that Salmond and his like getting any more control of Shetland than they have already for the reasons already stated. but here are a few more, the parliament building in Edinburgh estimated cost £40 million actual cost £400 million and still rising constant repairs to the structure and it is not even fit for purpose (makes the council look like a bunch of spend thrifts).There was sausage all wrong with the assembly rooms but the powers that be in Edinburgh are too far up their own a##*s to make do without spending our money on their comforts. £400 million would make a big difference in education or the health service but it was spent on central belt politicians ego trip.

The foot and mouth crisis in England, we are 650+ miles from it and yet our lambs have to be burnt as they can not be exported. If the Scottish politcos had wanted they could of said to Europe OK we are attached to England but Shetland and Orkney are not so there is no chance of there being any disease there, let them slaughter and export their livestock via a European port no such common sense approach was used or even considered. 30,000 yowes will feed an awful lot of folk.

The Snp want to have indipendence from th UK but want to be more integrated with Europe so no chace of getting out of the CFP then, no matter what they tell us in their propoganda statements.

a bit off topic probably ... but just to reply ... ;-)

The foot and mouth crisis in England...

Sorry, dear friend, it wasn't just an outbreak in England ... it was an outbreak within the UK.

I agree, it is a pitty that Scotland does not have full souvereignity over economic politics in general and agricultural politics in particular, but what happened there was exactly the same what would happen in case of an outbreak of the desease over here, let's say in Bavaria with the North Frisian Islands within a similar distance of some 900km.

The other problem you raised ... Why do we waste such an amount of valuable resource (here meat) is a diferent thing. At least in two continental harbours (Rotterdam and Hamburg) we do have large areas of exterritorial status, strictly controlled by custom and other services, providing large cool house capacities ... and what I don't understand: Why not using those capacities to save as much of valuable produce as possible.

Culling thousands of animals under a animal welfare scheme is one thing, paying hundreds of beaurocrats unable to find a suitable solution how to use these products is another one ...

It sounds a bit harsh but per 1000 sheep to be culled we should probably cull one stupid beaurocrat ... I leave it up to you whether that should be a national UK one a Scottish executive one or an EU official ... ;-)

One of each would be fine for a start Islandhopper.

There was more chance of foot and mouth spreading from Surrey to France It does not need a passport to cross an international border, and neither do migrating birds all heading in a southerly direction at this time of year. nothing to stop a flock of birds landing on the infected farm one evening, taking of the next morning and landing somewhere in France Spain Portugal Holland Belgium etc the next evening, so the rules about it being in the same country are total bureaucratic sprootle. Was N ireland under the same restrictions and not S Ireland?

A common sense approach to these problems instead of the crap that is please.

My point being that if we were not part of the UK then the Incompetance that caused the outbreak would not have affected us.