Any Shetland recipes for cockles

Longdog

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hermie,

that'd be great, really appreciate it, just let me know when you find it. As you might guess I like my food :lol:

2 hours later and still OK :o

Going to go for the old pepper and vinegar on them tomorrow as our lass says she's not sure if she wants them 2 days in a row :roll:

Yeh I like spoots but my wife doesn't :roll:

How do you get them? Salt in the hole, stick in the hole or just wait until a low at night and grab them when they're sticking out?

I think the latter, and with gloves. If you try to dig them out chances are you'll break them. Must be a good groond ebb.

Yeh I like spoots but my wife doesn't :roll:

How do you get them? Salt in the hole, stick in the hole or just wait until a low at night and grab them when they're sticking out?

I think the latter, and with gloves. If you try to dig them out chances are you'll break them. Must be a good groond ebb.

Walk backwards :wink:

I harvest shellfish. Had a nice ebb tide today and oysters for dinner. Clams for supper tomorrow. I hang the clams in a mesh bag off the dock for a day or longer to allow them to spit out the sea bed. Then scrub them with a stiff brush to get rid of algae and stuff before cooking in a broth until they open. If you are worried about the sea water at your dock leave them in a bucket of clean sea water for a day and add a handful of oatmeal to the water. The Oatmeal speeds up the spitting out of the grit. As far as cockels go. I leave them alone. I have yet to figure out how to make them edible. To damned chewy.

We're all still alive and well, which is a good start to the day :lol:

My other good start was the remaining cockles with just some vinegar, yum, the wife thinks I'm disgusting but they're low fat and high protein, good stuff!

Cheers for the tips on oatmeal in the soak. Any oysters over mossbank area that you're prepared to divulge? Or there abouts PM?

I may be walked past loads with my eyes zero'd in on cockles!

Alive and well is a good thing to be.

Sound like people there are afraid to harvest the ocean's bounty. Afraid of becoming sick. People here as well. I have learned to watch the gulls and the raccoons and otters. If they are eating, it is safe. I have seen them not eat and have listened. I am alive and well, as well.

I might share the recipe for the broth for clams. You have to tell me how to make cockles something one wants to entertain the thought of ever trying again.

Clam recipe would be good :D

As for the cockles, they're not that chewy I don't think, even my wife will eat them and she's not keen on Shellfish other than prawns. Try not to get ones that are to big, medium to small are like anything else softer textured.

The recipe I used is on my blog below, but this morning I just steamed them until they opened, rinse thenm under cold running water for a bit to cool them and then added vinegar, lovely 8)

Seems like I made a boo boo mentioning the location of mine as this morning I noticed 2 people down there on the low ebb digging, may be they were just after bait, never seen anyone esle down there yet, but made me think...

Guest Anonymous
Clam recipe would be good :D

As for the cockles, they're not that chewy I don't think, even my wife will eat them and she's not keen on Shellfish other than prawns. Try not to get ones that are to big, medium to small are like anything else softer textured.

The recipe I used is on my blog below, but this morning I just steamed them until they opened, rinse thenm under cold running water for a bit to cool them and then added vinegar, lovely 8)

Seems like I made a boo boo mentioning the location of mine as this morning I noticed 2 people down there on the low ebb digging, may be they were just after bait, never seen anyone esle down there yet, but made me think...

Here are a few recipes enjoy :)

http://southernfood.about.com/od/clamsandmussels/Recipes_using_Clams_and_Mussels.htm

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blclamindex.htm

http://www.bestclamrecipes.com/

The beach the other side of you (towards toft) is good too... plenty of cockles I think!