Accommodation in the Brae area

chaz696021

Guest Anonymous

strayed an awful distance from the point. Does it really matter why accomodation in the Brae area is scarce ? , it just is. With this work kicking off at Graven its going to be a lot worse too cos a lot of companies will put the foremen n gaffers in rented accomodation away from the manual workers , n there lies another topic but it is how it is

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

strayed an awful distance from the point. Does it really matter why accomodation in the Brae area is scarce ? , it just is. With this work kicking off at Graven its going to be a lot worse too cos a lot of companies will put the foremen n gaffers in rented accomodation away from the manual workers , n there lies another topic but it is how it is

The priveteers will flourish - start doing up your oothooses noo.

Guest Anonymous

The priveteers will flourish - start doing up your oothooses noo.

very much so ,cover the croft in caravans , all been done before. I still think there is far too much pandering to the oil companies at the expense of young folk trying to get a start and poor folk on "basic" wages, shocking in 2010 in a so called developed civilised rich country

The OP must be seriously regretting starting this thread by now, all they asked was if anybody knows of a place available reasonably near to Brae. :shock:

Ha Ha GR - worms and cans - Shetlink thrives on them - mind you on a more serious note :( Fleabea has a point - We have the T-shirt).

Don't know if this is the right place to be doing this, but my daughter, partner and baby daughter will be homeless at the end of this month. The council have told them that they will have to find private accommodation at first to be eligible as being homeless. Unfortunately their search has come up with nothing so far. Her partner works in the Brae Hotel and therefore needs to be in the Brae area.

Does anyone know of anybody who can take them in even for a little time. I would do it myself but I live Lerwick and the council will not take them on if they move in with family.

Please pm me if you can give us any hope

The OP must be seriously regretting starting this thread by now, all they asked was if anybody knows of a place available reasonably near to Brae. :shock:

A friend (humbly) recommended a company called Specsavers for you Ghostrider

Another (more cynical friend) rubbed her hands together and whispered "Ahh Bisto)

Another (more Musical friend called Johnny) - you may remember his mam , Mrs Cash sang - " I hear that train a'comin'".

Fleabee - start printin' the t-shirts

For instance, why there are loads of locum GP's and dentists from abroad?

For the same reason there's lots of English and Scottie ones!

It infuriates me.

You are a migrant. Doesn't matter if your Polish, Irish, Greek or English, you have as much right to live and work here as anyone else from the EU.

I see NO DIFFERENCE between someone from England moving to Shetland to work and someone from Poland. Apart from obviously the strong blood ties many Shetland families have to Poland.

You might have guessed I don't think much of the 'incomers get it all,take our hosuue, jobs and women, poor us' zenophobia that some have. Rant over :roll:

Been here a couple of weeks and got yourself into a "them and us" already?

How about you get yourself out of the Ghetto and get involved with the Shetland community. You might even learn how to spell and get the Shetland terminology.

It's also only polite to get to know, basic history, politics, geography, language, etc of the place you've moved to.

All of us who have moved to new climes have had to do so to fit in and find our place in the community.

If you don't like it you can always go home.

Can I just apologise, I actually edited the above post quite severely.

I have heard quite enough recently from non Shetland folk about foreigners taking their jobs, council housing etc.

if you've been here for a few months what rights does it give over folk who've been here for years, just because your "British"?

I see "foreign" workers, working all hours, in jobs that no one else will take. While you get folk who seem to move up in to shetland council houses fae south who seem less inclined to work.

:evil:

MJ, that attack on Longdog is the nastiest I've seen for a long time !!

Follow his blog, and you will see that he is learning about his new "Country", and is really interested !!

As for spelling...the Shetland language is fonetic, it differs from place to place, so there are no real rules as far as I can see.

he's not in a new country!

you don't see folk writing blogs about moving round the corner do you?

So Scotland and England are not different countries then? Wanders off to find me old Geography Teacher on Facebook and attempts to remember lessons on Great Britain, British Isles, United Kingdom ... :wink:

Errmmm..... MJ I really can't see where you're coming from on that attack on me :?

I haven't got a them and us mentality, I was talking about some people up here who have a them and us mentality and speak about workers moving up here and taking houses, jobs etc. from 'Shetlanders' as that was what was referred to in the off-topic part of the thread.

I have no problem with anyone from anywhere moving here or to where I'm from. It's a free market and a global economy.

May be I phrased it badly :?:

Ironicaly some one asked me if I was foreign the other day :lol: I said only if you count English as foreign. :lol:

Please re-read my post. If I've written it badly, I'm sorry for the confusion. If you realise that It is meant to say as above may be you could apologise?

If you just disagree that's up to you.

As for spelling, we all make mistakes and spelling of Shetland words varies depending on who you speak to or where you look...

Kev